Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HDD not working.

Recently my secondary hard drive simply stopped working (at least on this computer). I was deleting some stuff, switching between OSes (Linux\98\XP), and doing other various things when on one of my reboots I noticed XP had ceased to recognize my HDD. I rebooted to Linux and 98 and they didn't recognize it either. I shut down, opened up the computer, checked all the cables, rebooted, and still, no 2nd HDD. I had defraged not long before but I had rebooted and used the drive since. I haven't had a chance to check if my computer will recognize any slave HDDs at all nor have I had a chance to try putting my HDD in another computer. However, I will get to do both of those today and/or tommorow. Until then, anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this or as to what caused the problem in the first place?

Beefy Guest

Does your BIOS pick it up?

Does it work in any other PC?

No, should have said so but I figured it was implied when I said 3 OSes didn't. I should be able to get someone to see if it works in another computer by tommorow, but at the moment I don't have any other PCs in the house.

I gave the drive to my friend to take home and test on one of his computers (running 98 SE if it matters). He called me, said that at first it was working in that his BIOS saw it, but Windows did not (well, that's how he made it sound, but his level of understanding of his BIOS, or "what happens when you press delete when starting up", as he puts it, and of Windows is pretty much just above that of the average person, which isn't saying much). He said he tried rebooting and Windows won't even boot from his hard drive anymore, regardless of whether or not mine is there. So now I (or we) have a problem with another drive. Does anyone know what the hell:flames: is wrong with either or both hard drives?:grr:

I just got another call from my friend, and I took the opportunity to clarify his story from before. Apparently, he never even got into windows. He just checked his BIOS, it showed up there (or so he says), he tried to reboot, can't boot into Windows. Pulls out my drive, tries to boot, can't. Restarts computer, checks BIOS, no HDD at all. It's possible that he simply doesn't know how to use his BIOS well enough to tell whether or not his HDD there, but somehow I doubt that. In any case, he definetely can't boot from his hard drive now, and while I told him to try his boot disk, it probably won't work if his BIOS doesn't see his hard drive at all. I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide on either drive.

I just got another call from my friend, and now I feel like an ass :(
    for asking him to help. Evidently, he isn't quite as smart as I thought. He was putting in his floppy drive (he keeps it out of his computer due to a shortage in cords), and he neglected not only to unplug the power source, but to even turn the computer off!:laugh: So he is about to plug it in, with his computer on, when he sees an inch-long (not a chance in hell but he really made the story sound better this way) blue spark fly between the cord and drive, and his computer shuts off and won't start up at all anymore.:snip: :flames: So forget his drive for now, I'm going to start a new thread in "What should I buy?" in order to help him get a replacement computer (might as well go for more than the motherboard because his computer was so crappy). I don't really have any important information to give with this post, I just thought it was a funny story.:laugh:

Thread Information