Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about longhorn or SP2 support for serial ATA!

OK, I know that Microsoft is still two years away from making Longhorn or whatever it will be called, but mabye you can tell me any info you know, about what I am going to ask... OK? I am wanting to know if the new Longhorn operating system will include NATIVE DRIVERS for Serial ATA hard drives like the western digital raptor?

The reason I ask, is because I just bought this drive a few months ago,(40 gig version) but had to pull it from my system, because I got tired of the way it was acting! I kept getting repeated blue screens and finally was not even able to REFORMAT it anymore! Yes, I could just use fdisk and repartition it and then format it, but it was acting so badly I just pulled it and that was that! Not to mention the fact that I bought an OEM version of the drive AS WELL as being talked into using the NTFS file system, which In had never used...I just use FAT 32....slower, but stable enough for me!! I wish a THOUSAND TIMES OVER I had of gotten the RETAIL VERSION, because all that came with the drive WAS the drive itself! NO DRIVERS!!( The retail version comes with the hard drive a 3.5 driver disk and a serial ATA card, at least that was what their tech support told me!) So, the guy that put in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard MADE a homemade 3.5 driver disk from the files on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe CD that came with the motherboard! I finally just pullled it out and went with something I know and trust and has never failed me. A 40 gig WD 7,200 RPM drive! One that I DON'T have to load drivers into windows whenever I have to reformat! That just drove me CRAZY! (I DID NOT KNOW you had to loade the stupid drivers in to windows when you reformatted when I bought the thing!) I don't mind drivers for a sound card, video card, etc. But a HARD DRIVE? No Thanks! So....will the NEW Longhorn have native support for this drive and others like it? If it will I may wait and keep this raptor drive I have and use it with longhorn. If it does not, I would rather sell it and be done with it!

To be fair though, the drive was not the only thing causing the bluescreens! For one, I just had installed by a professional an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and the RAM eventually turned out to be bad! BUT I had replaced the hard drive with my 7200, hoping it would stop the bluescreens, BEFORE I eventually replaced the RAM and finally stopped the bluescreens for good! (what happened was the BIOS on the A7N8X Deluxe WAS showing the two micron 512 2700 sticks as functioning properly, but that board is so picky about memory I had to take those two sticks back to the store I bought them from and replace them with two oither 512 sticks of 2700 SAMSUNG memory! I not only changed the sticks but the brands!) So It IS POSSIBLE that what was causing the bluescreens the whole time was the incompatible RAM I had on the motherboard, but that old saying applies "if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!" So I am not about to put that 10,000 RPM raptor back in my system unless I have an operating system that supports it natively! I don't like putting on drivers for a hard drive anyway! I would just rather use what I have, even if it is a little slower and try to make do until Longhorn comes out or a patch to XP is added (SP2 mabye?) That adds native support for Serial ATA hard drives! My question is....willl SP2 or longhorn have this native support for Serial ATA????
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

I'm sure longhorn will have native support for serial ata, but even if it doesn't it is not difficult at all to load drivers for it during the initial intall of windows (which requires a floppy). Drivers can be obtained from the WD website. Whether windows has native support for a device or not I always install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website since they always work better; and I get the drivers before I install windows and burn them to CD.

The point is, whether or not windows has native support for any major piece of hardware, it is not difficult to get the device to work properly.

sata is the same as raid when it comes to drivers. you must install the drivers when the installation of windows begins (I can't remember the key atm, but it is shown at the bottom of the screen)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Oh I know HOW to do it........you hit f6 at bootup, but it is STILL a PAIN! Especially for just a hard drive!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by webe3
    but it is STILL a PAIN! Especially for just a hard drive!
    then I would strongly suggest you never attempt a raid setup or install windows on any hdd attached to a controller card.

Don't worry, I won't! I like a faster drive and all, but that is really too much of a hassle to deal with for me. Like I said, if the drive is supported natively I will use it....if not, I won't!
    Here are my specs:

[I think] winXP sp2 should be out by mid 2004, so you may get lucky. But I wouldn't count on it.

Well I just went to microsoft and put it on their WISH LIST! Mabye I will get lucky! I think I speak for everyone owning a SATA drive, when I say it would be a lot easier to load windows if you didn't have to rely on a 3rd party driver. It would be nice, if you could just hook it up to your motherboard and windows instantly recognised it as a SATA hard drive. Like it recognises regular 5,600 and 7,200 hard drives now. But mabye I am dreaming. We'll see.......
    Here are my specs:

Beefy Guest

Too much of a hassle? Putting in a disk ONCE and pressing F6 ONCE and doing a 1 minute driver setup ONCE is too much of a hassle? :rolleyes2 And I thought I was lazy...

@ beefy...Look..... I am NOT LAZY! If you would READ MY POST you would see why I am not wanting to put these drivers on! I had BLUESCREEN AFTER BLUESCREEN trying REPEATEDLY to get this stupid drive to work! !! I would just get windows loaded and then it would bluescreen on me! AND THIS DID NOT HAPPEN JUST ONCE!! So I had to repeatedly reformat (and reload the drivers because that was my only drive at the time) because windows was messed up so bad! Then I tried calling WD and they were about as helpful as you are being to ME right now! I went to the site they specified, loaded the newer drivers on to the 3.5 disk, but I could not get them to work when I was loading windows. So plaese don't say I am the one who is being lazy when I have tried everything I can think of! Mabye before you judge somebody the next time try to see if they have been doing whatever they can to fix their problem on their own! THEN judge! Now I was told by a western digital tech support person to go tohttp://www.siig.com and put serial ata host adapter in the search box. I did but came up with FOUR drivers! Which one is suppodsed to be used with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe? here is the link if you want to take a crack at it! http://www.siig.com/downloads.asp?qu...pter&mode=both

If I know which specific driver I am supposed to download, I can do that. They have instructions for putting it on windows...but WHICH one is it? (If you notice, the page has FOUR different drivers you can download!)

I also have to make the 3.5 bootable to where when I insert it, and hit f6, windows will start loading the driver for the serail ATA host adapter. But last time I tried just putting it on the 3.5 floppy and it didn't work! I think it is an .exe file. How do I get windows to recognise it?

Another question, does it hurt to use the fat 32 file system on this drive or do I just have to use NTFS?
    Here are my specs:

Ok have ya run WD's diagnostic software on the Raptor to check that it's physicaslly ok and have ya looked for updated drivers on ASUS' website? :?:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information