Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IC7-G and Sata RAID Issues...

Hi Guys

I have two Western Digital 120GB PATA hard drives here and I made the decision that I wanted to have them configured in a RAID 0 Stripe set array.

I found that for me to be able to RAID them using the IC7-G motherboard that it was only possible with the use of "Serillel2" adapters.

I found that my ABIT motherboard already came with one adapter but I was still one short therefore I purchased another one.

Once I received my additional adapter I enabled all SATA/RAID capabilities in my Rev 18 BIOS then restarted, hit CTRL+I and created my RAID 0 array.

After that was complete I proceeded as normal and installed Windows XP Pro and also installed drivers for the RAID controller by QUICKLY hitting F6 at the start of the installation for Windows.

Installing the operating system was a success but the problem was that at times when I power up my machine I am prompted with the following notification right around the POST mark:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I restarted the machine and hit CTRL+I to enter the RAID configuration utility and found that the status of the RAID 0 array was displayed as failed. (see attached image)

This constantly happens to me guys and and each time I am able to repair the failed array by entering the RAID configuration utility and saying yes to the question that is always asked.

Have you guys also been experiencing this problem as I find it to be a pain in the butt to always go through with the above procedure and was wondering if there was a fix for this as I'm getting tired of constantly seeing that my RAID array has failed and having to manually fix it.

This should not be happening.

PS:
    Will appreciate any feedback you guys have to give.

Thanks again guys.
    [COLOR=sky blue] CASE -[/COLOR] Antec Plusview 1000AMG |[COLOR=sky blue]| PSU -[/COLOR] Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt |[COLOR=sky blue]|HSF -[/COLOR] ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ |[COLOR=sky blue]| CPU -[/COLOR] Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz |[COLOR=sky blue]| MOBO -[/COLOR] Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 21) |[COLOR=sky blue]| RAM -[/COLOR] Corsair TWINX 1024MB DDR (PC3200LL) |[COLOR=sky blue]| VIDEO -[/COLOR] Palit Daytona GeForceFX 5900 |[COLOR=sky blue]| SOUND -[/COLOR] Creative Audigy 2 Platinum |[COLOR=sky blue]| HDD -[/COLOR] x2 Western Digital JB 120GB (RAID 0) |[COLOR=sky blue]| CD -[/COLOR] Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW |[COLOR=sky blue]| OS -[/COLOR] Windows XP Professional SP1

If you have them available i would try diff hard drives to set up in the raid If your SATA RAID still has problems with different drives installed, you may have a firmware issue (considering it does consistently work after a reconfiguration). It would be wise to download the latest BIOS/Firmware update from Intel/Abit for the SATA RAID, if one is available. Or, contact Abit and see if they have a fix or if they know of any RAID issues with their board. You may be eligible for a replacement board from Abit, if they cannot fix the problem its time to head over to western digital

on another note.....

If your're finding your Western Digital EIDE drives drop out of an RAID array after a few days, western digital(there website www.wdc.com) appears to have the answer. It might only affect you if you have drives shipped before June. All drives since that date are AOK. This irritating phenomenon happens because of a feature that cuts idle acoustic noise in desktops in an raid environment.
    http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/xefloetry83.png
    AMD Athlon XP 2800 Barton
    FrozenCpu.com(Blizzard) Mid tower 2-120mm 2-80mm all voltages controlled
    Enlight 420W Dual Fan PSW
    Thermaltake Volcano 9
    Leadtek WinFast K7NCR18G-Pro nForce MB Dual DDR memory architecture
    2x256=512mb DDR Samsung 2700 333mhz bus
    GF4
    17inch LCD Pixo at700s
    logitech mx700 wireless
    40GB Western Digital "SE"
    30GB Maxtor 7200 ATA133

Thanks mate.

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Damn this pisses me off.

Do you know how much work it is to find another two drives and hook them up as a RAID array.

I think I might piss off the RAID array all together and go with the independant drives..... :(

Thanks again though mate.

Much appreciated.
    [COLOR=sky blue] CASE -[/COLOR] Antec Plusview 1000AMG |[COLOR=sky blue]| PSU -[/COLOR] Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt |[COLOR=sky blue]|HSF -[/COLOR] ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ |[COLOR=sky blue]| CPU -[/COLOR] Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz |[COLOR=sky blue]| MOBO -[/COLOR] Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 21) |[COLOR=sky blue]| RAM -[/COLOR] Corsair TWINX 1024MB DDR (PC3200LL) |[COLOR=sky blue]| VIDEO -[/COLOR] Palit Daytona GeForceFX 5900 |[COLOR=sky blue]| SOUND -[/COLOR] Creative Audigy 2 Platinum |[COLOR=sky blue]| HDD -[/COLOR] x2 Western Digital JB 120GB (RAID 0) |[COLOR=sky blue]| CD -[/COLOR] Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW |[COLOR=sky blue]| OS -[/COLOR] Windows XP Professional SP1

OK so ya usin' ATA100 HDD's with SATA converters which is no prob but when ya start to install Windows ya must load the drivers for the SATA controller when asked for a SCSI/RAID setup (F5 or something at the beginin' of the install) which should be on a supplied floppy but if not can be created from the mobo support CD.

Hi Wig

Would you believe that I did install the SATA drivers in the first stages of installing Windows.

As soon as I booted from the CD I hit F6 and from what I saw I seemed to install the drivers succesfully but yet I am still experiencing issues with this damn setup which is supposed to increase performance but all it seems to do is increase Windows load times and headaches..... :(

Vio

Thread Information