Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDD issues

Scandisk says the disk has no errors. Chkdsk says the disk has no errors.
    When I try and format, I still get a "trying to recover lost allocation units". I am trying to re-format one partition of a two partition hard drive. Could this be the problem?
    P.S. The reason I am wanting to re-format is to get rid of a corrupt OS (XP) and re-install the OS.

Your Master Boot Record (MBR) shouldn't be the problem, but it might be. Try dumping both partitions and repartitioning the drive in whatever manner suits your needs. No guarantees, but it may help fix the problem. The FATs will be rewritten when the new partition is created. This should give you the allocation units back that were holding corrupted data. If this doesn't do the trick, you may want to go ahead and contact the drive manufacturer for further assistance.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

you should go to your manufacturer's disk and download a utility that allows low level format. do a QUICK low level format that will take care of that "trying to recover allocation units" thing.
    i can't stress enough on that QUICK part. don't go for slow or full as there is a risk that you might screw your HD.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

What do you mean by "dumping" both partitions?
    If I cannot format the drive with two partitons, will I be able to with only one partition?

What I mean is to use a utility like fdisk and remove both partitions. It removes the capability to use the drive, but this same fdisk utility also allows you to create a new partition from the now empty real estate. When this happens, the FAT tables are rewritten and you should get back your lost allocation units. If it fails to work, though, you'll want to go ahead and get with your drive manufacturer for a utility that allows you to troubleshoot and perform a low level format of the hard drive.

Oh... and if you're not familiar with the fdisk utility, read up on it BEFORE you try using it on your hard drive. It is simple, but it gives you an extraordinary amount of power to frag a drive. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks. I thought you might be talking about fdisk, but I wanted to make sure. I had a nicely working dual boot before my system became infected. It has not worked correctly since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information