Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDD issues

I have a 60 gig hard drive that is now showing crossed link files on occasion. I tried to format the drive and do a OS re-install, but it will not format. I keep getting a message about recovering allocation units. I would like to try avenues to repair before I have to replace the drive. Any suggestions?...thanks.:)

Try going to the manufacturer's web site and see if they have any diagnostic software.

Most do, and this should help ya out.

[code:1:e42e0ed269]chkdsk /r[/code:1:e42e0ed269] is also a gud option.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

You mentioned the error regarding the lost allocation units but didn't say if you allowed the system to try to recover those clusters. From what you're saying, the FAT (File Allocation Table) is messed up on your system. You can fix this by running the chkdsk command mentioned by asklepios. Once this has been taken care of, you should be able to perform a format of the drive normally.

There should be no need of replacing the drive as it doesn't appear to be faulty at this time. When you start getting cross-linked files, the FAT (the roadmap the OS uses to find files on your hard drive) has usually become corrupted. While it is sometimes possible to rebuild the FAT, it is very time consuming and there isn't a guarantee it will be done just right. So your goal is to fix the FAT and then start over again fresh.

Good luck. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

The system said it was trying to recover the lost units, but after 24 hours, I aborted the operation. I usec "scandisk" and it looked fine. I have not tried chkdsk with or without the "r" switch, but I will do so. I assume the "r" is for repair?

Yes... but this might help explain it a bit better:
    My Toys

When I used chkdsk, I got a message telling me to use scandisk instead. I already used scandisk and it showed no problems with the drive.
    Also, I got an invalid parameter nag message when I tried to use the "R" switch. I was using the DOS prompt from inside Win98.

Ah... Win98 makes a difference. You might wanna mention this OS in your first posting for future messages. ;)

It has been a while since I used Win98 so am not up to speed anymore on the particular switches allowed. From a boot disk, try typing these two commands to give you more info on what is available to you:

scandisk /?
    chkdsk /?

These will give you a help message as to the switches that are allowed for each command. Make sure to do it from a boot disk, though, as if you do the fixes from a command window you still have Windows running in the background. Since the OS takes such pride in controlling the system, you may run into problems when trying to make changes to the most root of the hard drive functions.
    My Toys

What OS is your screen shot from?

I use WinXP Pro and the screenshot was taken from the command window just to give you a brief rundown on the command line parameters. When you try to fix the allocation errors, you'll want to run from a boot disk as this will put you into a DOS mode and not just try running commands from within a window.
    My Toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information