Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cd-rom drive fails to respond

A few days ago I wanted to re-install nolf 2 as I had previously uninstalled it, I put in the disc and it doesn't recognise it. It doesn't even think i put a disc in the machine and the green light turns off. I'm running a win 98

What about other disks? Do they do the same thing or can you access them normally?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

the same thing happens with all my games like battliefield and generals. The disks are all originals to.

have you tried cleaning it? you might have a bit of dust on the lense. You may also want to consider reinstalling the secondary ide controller (assuming that's the one the cd-rom is attached to)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

how do i install the secondary thingo?

Assuming that the CDROM is connected to the secondary channel, go into the Device Manager and remove it, then reboot and this should reload the driver/s for it. Also check that the IDE cable is fully inserted.

open device manager (conrol panel\system\hardware\device manager). It works like Windows Explorer, so drop down the one that says "IDE ATA/ATAPT controllers". Right click "Secondary IDE Channel" and click 'uninstall' from the drop down menu. Click 'OK' and reboot. Windows should re-install it automatically once booted.

*looks like Wiggo beat me to it :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Ok let me try it...:confused:

I cant find the thing you told me to delete. There is only one thing that is like that which is the secondary ide connector(dual fifo) it wont let me uninstall that anyway. plz help

If it don't look similar to the pic below then ya better give us full details on ya hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information