Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Very Odd HD Prob...

Hoping to solve this problem quickly I have already gone through the forum archives, and I was unable to find a thread with my problem...

I've had this WD2000JB now for 8 months.. and it has been flawless. It has been treated with extreme care, and it stopped working recently.

I don't even think it has been 'on' for over 1000 hours, and certainly hasn't been used for anything hard drive intensive.

I had the drive mapped over the network, and out of nowhere I was unable to access the drive. I started looking into it, I restarted the host computer, nothing. Windows did not recognize the drive, the bios doesn't see it, nothing.

After trying different IDE controllers, testing the IDE controllers with other drives (everything worked as expected with other drives) No Luck. I remembered I had my Western Digital Lifeguard disk.... I booted to it, and was able to run a 'quick test' It saw the drive, scanned it, and returned that the drive was OK !

Windows still doesn't see it, Bios still doesn't see it, nothing.

I remember that the WD disk has the drive copy feature!!! I hook up my 120 GB, and boot to the WD floppy... The Clone Partition feature can't see the 200 GB drive! But the Diagnostic window still can!

Whats going on? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

The data on the drive IS of course replaceable... its just mainly time invested, and a few key things I don't have backed up, like some digital photos, and alot of things I've scanned in recently... sigh... :(

Any Ideas?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Other things relevant... The drive DOES spin up.. it does not make any weird noises, and does not vibrate abnormally (it vibrates EVER so slightly, just like a normal drive)...

I bought it new. I am aware of the warranty. I have tried it in different computers, the original computer has no problems of its own. Hooking up another drive on the same IDE cable results in the working drive being recognized and working just fine... no nothing from the problem drive..
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Current Leads I see as potential solutions.

1.) Find some kind of sweet drive utility that is bootable, that can help me further diagnose / fix the problem...

2.) Find some utility that is bootable that can help me clone the drive.

3.) Your Idea??

I spent alot of time working on this last night, and quite a bit of time already today, just a moment ago the drive started making a clicking sound, which I believe is known as the 'click of death' ?

I have not heard the click of death before, so I am not sure what it sounds like, but this sound is VERY similar is pitch and frequency to a large grandfather clock... one loud click followed by a short click, continuosly while the drive is on. It might be a bit quicker than a clock, but not much.

Anyways, what causes this? What can be done about it?

---------

(Prior to the clicking that started moments ago...)

I was able to get windows to see the drive for a short period, and ran chkdsk... it worked for a good 30 minutes and then my computer froze...

A short time after that I was able to get a clone utility I found to see the drive, and it began to duplicate the first partition of my drive onto my 120 GB... it got to 7% and froze... Had to restart... Windows saw the freshly formatted 120GB as corrupt, and after a format none of my un-delete programs were able to recover anything... They did, however see the folder structure I was using... :/

----------

All thoughts + comments welcome.... :)

Shame on WD ! :no:

Beefy Guest

I'd salvage what you can and get a replacement under warranty...

Have any salvaging tips?

Thread Information