Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hard disk clicking

a few weeks ago my IBM Deskstar 60gig started clicking when booting background programs, when i loaded in 2 my user. i defragged all my partitions and found that my last partition would click when ever accessed data, this slowly has got worse and has started 2 make scratching noises.

Can any one tell me whatís causing the noise an is it likely to fail soon?

:afro:

I had the same problem with the Deathstar from IBM. Just one thing to do: BACKUP ASAP! Once you've done that, get an RMA from IBM to return it for a replacement, if it is still under warranty off course
    "Make FPS, not war"

that deathstar is giving you the 'click of death' so I would strongly recomend you do as Nosferatu suggested and backup all your important data immedialtly. There is a firmware upgrade for the IBM deathstars, but I'm afraid it's too late for you at this point :(
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

IBM HDs are known for more noise and ticking noises
    usually ticking noises means your HDD will go/is dead

back everything up and get another brand HDD ;)
    Tomorrow today will be yesterday.

http://members.chello.nl/~m.mulder1/Neokicking.gif

Beefy Guest

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=13020

It's a very well known problem, but once the clicking has started, there's not a lot you can do. Jump ship now.

Thanks i thought it might go so Iíve been sending any work i do 2 my second machine for a while now.
    as for the warranty it ran out 2months ago which is a b£$*"

Iím thinking of getting the WD Cavalier 120gig 8meg buffer SE as they have nice long warrantees, would u recommend this as i leave my pc idle a lot.

thanks for the help guys ! :cheers:

The WD JB1200 should be fine though I havn't used that model or any above the JB800 myself but half dozen JB's here (most are JB400's) have run flawlessly plus are very quick.

I would suggest the seagate barracuda over that WD. Not sure about actual write times but i know its much quieter. I love it, not a problem yet, while I know a guy whos WD is flaky after a few months.

I Believe its cheaper too, atleast where I am it was.

Thread Information