Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Paging file on which drive?

Hey everyone,

I have a question about the paging file on my new computer coming this week. I've always put my paging file on a separate HD from my OS using 2 times the paging file size compared to the amount of RAM I have.

But on my new computer my OS will be installed on 2 10,000 RPM raptors configured at a RAID 0 configuration. I then have a second HD that's 7,200 RPM. Should I keep my paging file on my RAID 0 HD or should I transfer it to the slower HD?

faster hdd = faster paging file

seems like to me that putting it on the slower hdd will only hurt your performance
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

'the heck is a paging file anyway:shrug:
    I'm a newb. Be nice.
    3.0C P4
    WD Raptor primary drive
    Maxtor 120Gb secondary
    ASUS p4c800 deluxe mobo
    1024MB Kingston pc3200 memory
    SB Audigy 2 LS Sound Card
    Lite on cd-rw/dvd combo drive
    Thermaltake Lanfire case w/ 420w PS
    Logitech z-640 speakers
    Sapphire 9600XT
    ...just need a monitor

True. Just going by HD speeds that would be true... but then I started thinking about file fragmentation and what not and started to think putting the swap on a different drive (even though slower) would be better.

Paging file is "Virtual Memory"... basically your computer designates a certain amount of HD space to be used a memory... like RAM.

ok to fix the file fragmentation set it to your slow HD, defrag your main HD then set your paging file to the main HD, make sure its a fixed size and then it'll grab one contiguos part of your HD.

You've got to have it on the fastest HD you've got since this will dramatically speed up your whole computer.

Ok, thanks for the info... I'll keep it on my RAID 0 drive with a fixed paging file size.

Thread Information