Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IDE limits, etc

I'm building a new machine, and I'm starting out with three hard drives, two 120gb Western Digital IDE drives, and a third, currently unknown drive of equivalent nature. The case I'm using has room for 6 hard drives.

My question is this: how can I configure these hard drives so that I can use them all, while still having a minimum of two IDE optical devices?

My motherboard says it can support 4 Ultra ATA devices, and 2 SATA devices, but I'm afraid my knowledge of such things isn't particularly strong.

If anyone would take the time to explain/suggest things to me, I'd be grateful.

well you can get 2 sata dongles to convert the 2 WD 120 drives and use them in a Raid array (if your mobo supports sata raid). Put the 3rd pata hdd on the primary ide channel and your 2 optical drives on secondary ide

or, you can buy the 3rd unknown hdd as a sata drive and forgo the dongles and raid setup witht the 2 WD drives on the primary ide channel

or, you could buy a raid controller card and set up a raid 0+1 config if you get another identical WD 120 GB drive
    :2cents:

I'm sure there are other choices as well, but this is what comes to mind at the moment
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

If I have two 120gb drives in a RAID array, do I have 240gb of space, or 120gb of much faster space?

btw, my motherboard is this: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/d...=K8T_Neo-FIS2R

More pertinent... what are you experts' general opinion of IDE controller cards for my extra hard drives? Do they decrease speed?

Quote Originally Posted by heliotrope
    If I have two 120gb drives in a RAID array, do I have 240gb of space, or 120gb of much faster space?
    You would then have 240Gbs of space, although it would be a good idea to partition that

Quote Originally Posted by heliotrope
    More pertinent... what are you experts' general opinion of IDE controller cards for my extra hard drives? Do they decrease speed?
    i think the ide controller cards are pretty good compared to the onboard ones.

as for the raid, depending on the setup you use, you could have 240gb or have 120gb for added data security.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

I think maybe I'll go the controller card way. (HighPoint Rocket133: is it any good?)

What's perhaps best, then? A primary drive and my opticals on the onboard IDE, and then other HDDs on the controller card?

Google for some reviews on that particular controller card.

as for the actual config, i wouldnt think it would matter, but personally id put the HDD's on the onboard IDE controllers and the opticals on the controller card :)
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

What do you want the 240 Gig drive to do???

It is only slightly faster, and the inflexibility, headaches, and riskyness, of RAID is not worth the slight speed gained.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thread Information