Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Hardrive = Bogged Down System

Okay, so I just bought a new Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 120gb 8mb Cache hard drive and I installed it, formatted it, and partitioned it. I've had it for a couple of days and I hadn't really payed close attention, but I've noticed that my system takes forever to boot up when I start, things load slower and my video games are glitchy now because it's not loading quick enough. I'm not getting any error messages and my computer doesn't crash. Everything else is fine. It just takes a while to load things and boot up. Is this because the new HDD is causing a strain on my memory? What is the problem here? I have 256mb DDR RD RAM and a 1.8 ghz Pent 4 processor. If it is because of the memory, does anyone know where I could find sticks of 512 RD RAM for my motherboard. Thanx much...

Addison Ulhaq

A few things come to mind for you to check:
    1. Check to make sure DMA has been enabled (go to Control Panel, System and select Properties for your new hard drive). If DMA is not checked, check it... ignore any warning Windows gives you, reboot and see if it makes a difference (it should)

2. Windows Content Indexer may have been building a new index, but this would only affect your apparent response once you've logged on to Windows.

3. Make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Some older BIOS versions have trouble with Hard drive sizes greater than 80Gb (even if you partition)

4. Did you install the drive with a Dynamic Drive Overlay?
    Doctor Micro
    "Computers enable us to make mistakes at the speed of light"

The Doctor's Primary Systems:
    Monitor: 21" Samsung SyncMaster 213T on Belkin KVMA Switch.
    Speakers: Logitech 7.1 System

System 1: WinXP Pro SP2//DX9.0c//AMD Athlon 64 3000+ OC'd@2400Mhz//Asus A8V Deluxe//2048Mb PC3200 SDRAM//ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb//2x Seagate 200Gb, 1x Maxtor 300Gb//2x Lite-On DVDRW//Antec Full Tower//480W PSU

System 2: Quad-Boot DOS, Microsoft Win2K Pro SP4, WinXP Home SP2 and WinXP Pro SP2//DX9.0c//AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    @2000Mhz//Asus A7N8X Deluxe//1536MB PC3200 SDRAM//Nvidia GeForce FX 5700//1x Seagate 120Gb, 1x 250Gb Seagate//1x PLEXTOR PX504A DVDRW//Antek Full Tower Chassis//3 80mm Antec Fans//400W PSU

Okay, I'm not up on everything with computers.

1. I Went to System, Device Manager, went to hard drives clicked on the maxtor, brought up the properties. I couldn't find anywere where it says DMA. Under policies I have "Enable write caching on the Disk" checked.

2. How do i check to see if my motherboard BIOS is up to date?

3. What in the heck is Dynamic Drive Overlay?

Sorry if I'm a pain in the butt. I don't know much about computers, but I'm sure willing to learn. :o :thumb:

I mis-directed you for the DMA options. Sorry about that. It's actually under the IDE Controller Section - Advanced.

Dynamic Drive Overlays are a way for older systems to use and recognize large hard drives. If you installed your Maxtor hard drive using the supplied MAXBLAST disk that came with your hard drive (unless you bought an OEM drive), then there's a good chance you're using a Dynamic Drive Overlay. If this is the case, just leave it alone.

Conversely, if you didn't use the MAXBLAST disk to install your drive and your system sees the full 120Gb size, then you don't need a Dynamic Drive Overlay anyway.

For BIOS upgrades, go to your system's or motherboards website. Usually, under a heading like "Support" or "Downloads" or "Software" you can find information on checking or updating your system BIOS (assuming yours supports flash upgrades)

Upgrading your RAM, while it will help your overall system performance, doesn't have very much to do with hard drive performance. Check with your System or Motherboard manufacturer (or your current documentation) to see how much and what type of RAM your system will support before you plunk down any cash for RAM you might not be able to use.

Lastly, if you plugged your spankin-new 120Gb hard drive into the same IDE channel that you have your CD-ROM on, then your hard drive is being choked by the PC33 or PC66 speed of your CD-ROM. If you have only one hard drive and one CD-ROM (or DVD, etc), make sure that your CD-ROM and hard drive are on different IDE channels (your motherboard should have two, and each one will support two devices... BUT the speed of the channel will operate at the SLOWEST speed of the SLOWEST device on that channel... which is usually the CD-ROM)

FYI, when you post "I've got a problem" kind of message, it would be helpful if you could include details about your system configuration and what kind of operating system you're using. See some of the other posts in these forums for examples.
    Doctor Micro

System 1: WinXP Pro SP2//DX9.0c//AMD Athlon 64 3000+ OC'd@2400Mhz//Asus A8V Deluxe//2048Mb PC3200 SDRAM//ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb//2x Seagate 200Gb, 1x Maxtor 300Gb//2x Lite-On DVDRW//Antec Full Tower//480W PSU

System 2: Quad-Boot DOS, Microsoft Win2K Pro SP4, WinXP Home SP2 and WinXP Pro SP2//DX9.0c//AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    @2000Mhz//Asus A7N8X Deluxe//1536MB PC3200 SDRAM//Nvidia GeForce FX 5700//1x Seagate 120Gb, 1x 250Gb Seagate//1x PLEXTOR PX504A DVDRW//Antek Full Tower Chassis//3 80mm Antec Fans//400W PSU

All sound advice, surely :)

Another consideration perhaps;
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...593#post186593

Maxtor just does things a little bit different.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

A good thought. I'd not known about Maxtor's Silent Store technology before (I usually prefer Western Digital or the Seagate Barracuda series, but several of my clients have Maxtor drives so I might check them out with the AMSET utility next time I see them)

I'm also wondering if perhaps he has S.M.A.R.T. fault detection enabled in his BIOS. Going to a larger hard drive could also slow down his boot sequence with S.M.A.R.T. enabled versus his original & smaller drive (i.e., more sectors to check).
    Doctor Micro

how do i disable the S.M.A.R.T. on my intel motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Addijhaq
    how do i disable the S.M.A.R.T. on my intel motherboard
    This setting will be in your BIOS setup, if you have it. If it's available, there are only two settings; enabled or disabled.
    Doctor Micro

Personally I wouldn't disable the S.M.A.R.T. feature as this is ya first line of defence in case of a hard drive goin' bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Personally I wouldn't disable the S.M.A.R.T. feature as this is ya first line of defence in case of a hard drive goin' bad.
    Good point; and I heartily agree. I shoulda mentioned that recommendation in my last post.
    Doctor Micro

Thread Information