Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows XP Install - Can't Format New SATA Drive - Help!

I bought a bare Hitachi 80GB SATA drive and put it in my computer. I've never used SATA before. I want to install Windows XP on the SATA and then I have a CDRW set as master on IDE2 and a DVD as Slave on IDE2. I've set it to Native, P-ATA & S-ATA, Both are Enabled. When I boot from my Windows XP CD and attempt to partition the hard drive, its gets about 20% complete and then gives this error. First I did the regular format and it actually got to 97% before giving this error. Quick only gets to 20%

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
    To continue, press ENTER.
    After clicking enter I see that it has created a new partition.
    C: Partition 1 [New (Raw) ] 78521MB
    Unpartitioned space 8MB

If I try to install on Partition 1 I get an error.

An error occurred while Setup was updating partition information on:

78529 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    Any ideas?

did you load sata drivers when you first booted off the winXP cd?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

When the Windows install starts ya need to when promted to press the F6 for loadin' the drivers for the SATA controller. It will come up as SCSI drivers but any non-native ATA controllers will need the drivers for it loaded at this stage (SCSI, SATA, RAID or additional ATA controllers).

Beefy Guest

Actually, it sounds as though he's already managed that guys.. :) If he can get XP to start installing, then it's picked up a drive somewhere...

If that is the case then he should go to Hitachi's website and run their deathstar diagnostic software.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    If that is the case then he should go to Hitachi's website and run their deathstar diagnostic software.
    Did that but alas the computer won't boot from the floppy disk. It works on another computer so I'm not sure whats wrong. Floppy is set as my first boot device and the lite comes on and I hear the disk read but it just gives an error as if there is no disk in the system or OS installed.

did you check the cable connecting floppy drive to the mobo? tried swappng floppy drive?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    did you check the cable connecting floppy drive to the mobo? tried swappng floppy drive?
    The cable is hooked up right. I only have one floppy drive.

I hooked up my WD IDE drive to the system and was able to boot into Windows. I tried to format the SATA drive from Windows but get an error that it was unable to complete the format. When I click on "Check Now" under the Tools tab in Properites nothing happens.

I tried the floppy drive in Windows. The light comes on and I can hear it reading but it pops up a window to insert a disk into drive a:.

I got the floppy working. The case came with a drive bay cover to cover up the face of the floppy. I had the drive to close to the face so that the floppy wasn't going all the way in.

Once I figured that out I booted from my Hitachi floppy and ran a test. It said "Defective Device - Component Error." So, I'm gonna send it back.

Thread Information