Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 hard drives per IDE channel?

Hello Fellas. Is it possible that I connect 3 hard drives on 1 IDE channel? (no raid).

Thanks for any reply.

PS: The thing is, I have 2 wd hd's, 40Gb and 80gb and I just got a 160gb wd caviar. Now the way I understand I'm going to need another hard drive(same) to be able to use the RAID. Thats why I was wondering if I can connect 3 hd's on one IDE channel without any problems. I dont really want to deal with the raid setup...hehe.

Thanks.

sorry, but the max is 2 devices per channel. if you only have one device on the secondary channel you can put the new hdd there.

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well, IDE1 I got my 2 hd's and IDE2 i got cdrw and dvd burner. What if I buy a controller card would that allow me to use my 3'rd HD without setting up raid?

Thanks.

yep, your typical controler card will allow you to add 4 more devices with 2 more channels

Beefy Guest

What motherboard have you got? Is that where the RAID controller is?

If so, some built-in RAID controllers allow you to use the port normally instead of setting up a RAID, in essence allowing you to run 6 / 8 IDE devices on the one board.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    What motherboard have you got? Is that where the RAID controller is?

If so, some built-in RAID controllers allow you to use the port normally instead of setting up a RAID, in essence allowing you to run 6 / 8 IDE devices on the one board.

Beefy, I got MSI 845PE Max2 FIR. That would be great if I dont have to buy a controller, but if I do need one would this one do the job?... http://www.promise.com/product/produ...=11&familyId=3

Thanks guys.

Doesn't that mobo have a 3rd yellow IDE connector near the bottom of the board that ya can use? If not then just get an ATA-SATA convertor for ya new drive and hook it up to one of the SATA ports.

this is my mobo...

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/d...845PE_Max2-FIR

Thanks for any help

just use that raid for ata. there is probably a jumper you have to change or a setting in the bios (consult your mobo manual) to get it to function as ata and not raid. But that's all you have to do; plug your new hdd into the primary ata/raid channel and you're on your way :thumb:

Thanks minibubba. I'm will check the manual to see if I can do that, thanks for the idea.

Will post the update:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information