Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Where's my D drive??

I used to had a D drive, which was an NTFS, but now on windows 98 I only have my C drive, and when I go to drive converter, it says there are no drives to convert. How can I get my D drive back??? Thanks.

you will need to make a boot floppy add the delpart.exe file (available from Microsoft) and use it to format the drive

Windows 98 cannot see an NTFS partition

delpart.exe is also available at this link;
    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm

look under the header "partitioning"
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

The same thing can be done by using fdisk on a common boot disk, but you should make sure you understand that you won't be able to retrieve the data when you use either of these methods as you'll be removing the partition so that it can be remade under a FAT32 file system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

you can also delete the partition with fdisk. ;) It will just show up as a non-DOS partition. However, as Mr C said, you can't use a NTFS drive in Windows 98. You also can't convert from NTFS to FAT32 (as far as I'm aware)

converting from fat32 to ntfs is certainly do-able but I not aware of anyting that will convert ntfs to fat32. Like everyone has been saying, you can't use ntfs with a win9x system. You need to either delete the partition or just reformat the current partition with fat32. Either way you will lose the data on the partition.

If the data is important to you, you will either have to hook the hdd up to a NT based system or reinstall whatever NT OS you had before.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I dont have any important data on the D partition, can someone please explain the steps I have to go through to let all this space be added to my FAT32 partition?? Will adding this kill all the data I have on my current FAT32 parition??? Thanks for the feedback guys.

Now you are talking about an entirely different matter.
    In order to redefine a partition (resize, etc.) you will need a utility that will accomplish this. Partition Commander is very highly thought of for this task.
    Ranish's Partition Commander is a fine freeware to do the job;
    http://www.ranish.com/part/
    There is no fancy GUI and it's not particularly for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

To the best of my knowledge it does not work with an NTFS partition either, so you will still need to use Delpart.exe first to delete the D:\ partition.

Use caution: resizing a partition can be dangerous to data :D
    If you have any files on C:\ you value, be certain to back them up.
    Of course, if it goes real well that's not an issue

To just change D:\ from NTFS to FAT32 use the Delpart.exe then use FDISK and Format to define, set active and format D:\
    http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/DELpart.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

2 partitions are always better than one in my book, but it is possible to reclaim and add the second partition to the primary as you inquired about.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Wow, thanks a lot Mr. C, but I just ended up going back to WIndows XP(dont ask me, long story).

Ok, here's a new question, should I convert the Fat32 into an NTFS, or simply move all my files to the larger NTFS Drive that I now can use?? I heard that NTFS is a much faster HD, and more efficient, is this true, and will I gain substantial benefits from using NTFS over FAT32??? What's the deal??

For a partition or drive to be seen by both a Win9x os and XP/W2k it must be formated as FAT32. NTFS is a more secure file system plus if an improper shutdown does occur then scandisk won't run at startup unless there is a physical prob with the drive.

Thread Information