Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 hard drives ?

The reason why its taking me longer to get back to you guy's is because iam not getting email notification when someone posts so I dont know if anyone has posted or not until I come in looking....
    Anyway, ive got an asus p4s533-e motherboard and 2 hard drives and 2 dvd drives connected, two into one ide and two in the other obviously...

ok well in that case your only options would be to setup a RAID array. If you have Serial-ATA raid on your motherboard, you can setup that and get SATA-PATA converters if you still wanto stick with PATA. (Parallel-ATA = big wide cables, 60pins is it?)

another option if you dont have onboard RAID is to get a PCI controller card, either a RAID one or just a normal IDE with no raid.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

thought that newer mobo's supported independent ide timing now so that hd's and cd's could be used on the same channel. maybe we could ask zoot to bench his 80GB hd. it should be obvious whether it is working at udma 5/6 or udma 2.

since what is slow is data transfer between ide devices on same channel and what is fast is transfer between channels, wouldn't it make more sense to set up 4 ide devices as follows:

ide0-master-boot hd
    -slave -cdrom
    ide1-master-cdrw
    -slave -2nd hd

isn't it recommended to put least used ide device as slave to boot hd?

anyway with 5 devices there is as thoric points out no alternative but to add/use an extra controller.

I'll set up some tests to give full notice about benchmarks with or without cd or dvd drives as slaves.

I think though that for several reasons a setup with 2 HD and 2 CD/DVD would be same device on same strap.

Another point however is to be very carefull with the power supply; I got a 15Amp/500w dual fan power supply with in total 4 (or 5) Hd's and 3 CD's/DVD's and every Hd got his own special fan. This gives me a total (with some other fan's in front and back (front-in, back-out) of 12 (or even more, lost count somewhere) fan's. (Yes, this does make some noise but i like listening to my music very loud and i'm getting deaf). Until now i haven't had any power supply problem or breakdown but i guess that someone with good electronical notice could figure out i'm nearby to blackout.

I'll be back with some benchmarks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information