Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 hard drives ?

Can I or/and how do I hook up 3 hard drives to the one pc, i got 2 installed just now via one ide cable with two plugs on, is it just a case of getting a cable with 3 plugs or is there some other procedure ?

there is a Primary channel and a Secondary channel, both allowing up to 2 devices each.

Primary is usually for hard drives, secondary for burners/dvd drives etc.

you can put the 3rd drive on the secondary channel, but if you have a CD drive on that, it will lower the speed of the hdd. the best option for you probably would be to buy a IDE controller card (around $60 AU) or look into setting up a RAID array.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thoric
    you can put the 3rd drive on the secondary channel, but if you have a CD drive on that, it will lower the speed of the hdd. the best option for you probably would be to buy a IDE controller card (around AU) or look into setting up a RAID array.
    But that costs money and isn't really worth it. Just hook up the drive to the 2nd cable. You can only have 2 devices per cable, and there's two cables, so you can have up to 4 IDE devices (including HDDs and CD/DVD drives)

its my understanding that if you put a ATA-100 device (ie: hard drive) onto the same channel with a CD-Drive (ATA-33) the hdd will run at ata-33? :confused:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Yes the channel will default to the slowest component on the channel so if ya do mix a ROM drive with a HDD then it's best to just store data on that HDD.

So whats all this mean to me guy's ??
    what do i do ? Also can i ask admin's, how come when someone has posted a reply to me it doesnt come through to me as an email message prompting me to go look at new messages in tweaktown when it used to work fine ???

Quote Originally Posted by glasgowscot
    So whats all this mean to me guy's ?? what do i do ?
    It means that if ya tell us what motherboard make and model ya have plus what drive arrangement ya have in place currently then we'd be more able to tell ya what to do. ;)
    [b]Also can i ask admin's, how come when someone has posted a reply to me it doesnt come through to me as an email message prompting me to go look at new messages in tweaktown when it used to work fine ???
    We've been havin' some probs with the server atm and this maybe why the emails havn't been sent to ya but it's bein' looked into (let us know if ya get an email for this reply).

basic computer lesson:
    your motherboard has 2 ide connectors which can both handle 2 ide devices.
    so after you know this it's easy to count; if you have 1 cd and 1 dvd you can only have 2 hard drives. (just a hint; put similar devices on same strip !!!)
    So if you want to put more than 4 ide devices into your computer you have to add a card that handles ide devices.
    In my computer i use a Raid card which allows me to have on the motherboards first strap main 80 Gb HD and dvd reader, on the second strap DVD writer and CD writer and on the raid card's first strap 2 120 Gb HDs.
    Another option is to change the HDs for bigger ones but prices above 120 Gb are a

sry, wrong key

prices go up fast over 120 Gb !

As far as to change to serial ata it means a rather big investment as you'll need to change motherboard and memory too.

To finish, count how many Gb you have now and how many you need in the end and if there's a real need for several small disks instead of 1 or 2 big ones.

glasgowscot: it would be more helful for you to list your current setup of ide channels.
    MEANING how many hard drives are you running and how many cd and / or dvd readers and/or writers you have connected to your pc.

We all want to help, though we may be too technical for you =p

Everyone here has good intentions ;P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information