Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DIE Partition Magic!!!

Sup. I just found out that Partition Magic formatted my hard drive using 32Kb clusters!
    This is really bad right? My window's XP folder's properties says:

Size: 1.10 Gb
    Size on disk: 1.94Gb

PartitionMagic

Plus everything is snaaaillll slloooowwww

Partition Magic has owned me again dammit!

What cluster size should I use?
    And should I use NTFS with all it's password and encrypting stuff or not? I know it has smaller clusters than normal FAT32, but is it really faster?

Thanks all! :cheers:
    bagga

Beefy Guest

If you have a FAT32 drive, then strangely enough you do get 32kb clusters. And with the Windows folder being full of all sorts of files, a lot of which are only a few kilobytes in size, then you're going to lose a fair bit of space (as you noticed). It's not bad as such, but it can be annoying.

However, what you've got is a little extreme. Seems to me like it would be a good idea to convert to NTFS. The problem has nothing to do with Partition Magic, so leave that out of the equation. FAT32 is probably not the reason that your computer is running slow either.

*strange fact*
    I just checked the properties on my XP folder.

Size: 1.60GB
    Size on disk: 1.54GB

Not sure how that works, unless something's compressed somewhere.. :)

WTF

I replied to this and it disapeared!

Anyways, thanks for the tips! I understand about the small files taking up the full clusters sizes. I remember back in the FAT16 days when everybody always complained about their humungus 1Kb batche files filling up their 40Mb drives.. Hahha that was back in the day man.

I don't know why I installed my OS onto my 80Gig HD with 2Mb cache and my downloads and music onto my 60Gb 8Mb Cache drive.. That wasn't the brightest. Sisoft Sandra shows about a 10Mbps higher throughput across the boards on the 8Mb as opposed to the 2Mb. Cache really helps, just like on CPUs.

Thanks again dude,
    Take it easy!
    bagga

you used FAT32 on 80 and 60 GB HDDs? no wonder...

yes, convert those bad boys to NTFS and you'll shrink those bloated clusters down to 4 KB. There should also be a small performance increase with it, especiailly if you just have one partition on each of those hdds. However, the security benifits and reliablity alone should be enough reason to convert from FAT32 to NTFS.

BTW, messing with partitions, regardless of the software you are using, is not for novices. If you don't know what you're doing you should either leave it well alone or do your homework first.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

there is a reason why XP will only make a 32GB fat partition. :rolleyes:
    Strangely enough, when i formated an 80GB drive with NTFS, It was about 2GB smaller than the same drive on FAT32.:shrug:
    Dont know what cluster size it was, but after finding out that maximum file size in FAT32 is only 4gb, I was forced to go with NTFS. Kinda sux, cuz i have about 10files that I needed to put on there that were in 5-8GB range :(

Thanks again!

So now if I convert the FAT32s to NTFS, will it be ugly, and slow, or should I just reformat again, this time in NTFS?

And I suppose if I did reformat I would want to make my OS drive the 60Gb with 8Mb Cache.

kane2g, those are some BIG files!

lata,
    bagga

it would be best just to format and start over. It would probably be fine to just convert, but it sounds like you are having other issues as well. If it was me, I'd repartition, format and be done with it :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Schweet. Thanks.

bagga

Thread Information