Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PartitionMagic / Boot-drive Problems

Alrighty, this might take a bit of explaining, but please bear with me :)

1. Replaced Motherboard, had to reinstall WinXP
    2. 120gig (1 single partition) was boot drive, but its full of other data I don't want to lose
    3. Made 60gig bootdrive (10gig Primary partition), installed WinXP on it
    4. Ghosted 10gig Primary partition to DVD-R
    5. Using PartitionMagic v7, removed approx 20gigs of free space from the 120gig Drive's single partition
    6. Again with PM, moved the existing (now 100'ish gig) partition to the end of the drive, and converted it from Primary to Extended
    7. Using PM, created a new Primary partition with the free space, at the beginning of the drive
    8. PM error says the new partition extends past the 1024 cylinder boot sector limit, or whatever
    9. Ghosted the 10gig partition with new copy of WinXP on it over to the new 20gig partition on the 120gig drive
    10. Swapped 120gig back to boot drive, Windows will not boot

I'm assuming the error is with the 1024 limit, but I thought that was just the limit for where the boot files had to be located on the physical drive... I've Ghosted many bootable drives before, and never had this problem, so I'm figuring I did something wrong with PartitionMagic while trying to create this partition

Anybody else tried this before, or see an obvious step I went wrong? And the reason I want the 120gig as master, is that its a 7200rpm 8mb drive, and the 60gig is an old 5400rpm.. I've noticed a big performance hit when initially loading programs
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

*bump*

anyone have any idea's yet? :shrug:
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of Partition Magic so I'm not gonna be able to help out on this. Maybe someone else.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Sorry, but I'm not a fan of Partition Magic so I'm not gonna be able to help out on this. Maybe someone else.
    The same here.

Beefy Guest

I've never had much luck with resizing then shifting partitions with PM, however there's a chance that a reinstall of XP over the ghosted install will possibly make it boot for you... maybe.

oh well, at least thanks for the replies :)
    -----

/Z

Thread Information