Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's 15 gig gone?

Hi all. hope u can help me.I checked my Hdd a few weeks ago during routine maintenance and there was 15 gig out of 20 free
    I don't download more than about 2/300 mg a month but now I seem to have only 95 mg free and because I'm running XP,files in explorer are too horrifying to try and delete because I don't know which files are necessary and which can go
    Have done the usual things like in Add/Remove programs, Recycle Bin etc but no difference
    Please , any ideas very welcome or can u advise which things I need to keep b4 I format etc?
    Thanks

Get SequiaView

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Run Disk Cleanup (start, programs, accesories, system tools, disk cleanup).

If you have PRO, you can compress folders. I do that with my movie, mp3 and temp download folders ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    If you have PRO, you can compress folders. I do that with my movie, mp3 and temp download folders ;)
    Kane, that isn't accomplishing anything you know... MP3 and Movies are HIGHLY compressed, and therefore the compressed file is often larger than the standard mp3 or movie file... not to mention, harder to access...

If you don't believe me, take a look for yourself...

Pretty much anything zipped, or compressed, won't compress any further.

chenka - I'd say do a full surface scan... Open my computer, right click on your hard drive, select Properties, then click the 'Tools' menu and click the 'Error-checking' button. Select "Automatically fix file system errors", AND "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

You will need to restart to run this, and it might take as long as 3-4 hours, depending... so maybe do it before you go to bed. I think it will solve your problem...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thanks Zeradul, I have no new video or MP3 files and have already done what the other people suggested. Will try your suggestion. P.S. ...one of my friends who dabbles in PC's suggested I might have a virus but have scanned in Safe Mode using Norton and found nought. Also have had major spyware problems in the last one to two months????
    thanks to you all for replying :)

What kinds of major spyware exactly??
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

I do agree that some folders wont compress as well as others but let me just point out this:

Did you run diskcleanup or use Sequoia View? It shows you the size of folders graphically - bigger files and folders are larger in appearance. It is just about the most useful program there is for finding what's eating up your drive. It's free, has no spyware, and is very small.

Get Adaware from my signature if you have spyware issues needing to be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    I do agree that some folders wont compress as well as others but let me just point out this:
    Ok, well then you have uncompressed things in there, its not the movies and mp3's that are compressing, thats all i was getting at... It is very possible your emule files that are being downloaded are horribly uncompressed. That is how they reduce horrible fragmentation, when the file needs more space, it sections off part of the drive with nothing it, accomodating that data that is about to be downloaded. And since it is nearly pure space, I'm sure those things compress great, a the expense of ALOT of extra hard drive work..

Hi again, I 've just put a spyware detector thru and removed the ones it found and did the surface scan you suggested but made no difference. I'm not exactly a PC Guru so what is an "emule" and why would it be so big?....also had a look at Sequoia and that looks very busy....could I tell which files are crucial to Windows etc from that more easily than Explorer?
    thanks again

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information