Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about HDD brands and 8MB caches

Hey everyone. Heading for work so I'll keep this brief.

I posted earlier regarding FAT32 and NTFS data backups and for those who are familiar with it, my OS migration situation is going to go down tommorow. So go figure I should have new questions on the eve of the big day. :laugh:

So:

1) If you had to choose between a Maxtor HDD or a Western Digital HDD, which would you choose and why? Or am I digging into this purchase too deeply and the difference isn't worth a damn? ;)
    2) While the price difference is negligable, I have the option of buying the HDD with or without the 8MB internal cache. Should I buy the HDD with or without the cache considering I demand high gaming performance from my rig? Also, what exactly does the 8MB cache do that would justify my losing 10 more dollars? (Hey, thats a good 1-2 hours in a good arcade...)

Thanks for your replies! All are welcome and appreciated.

Cya in 10 hours........sigh.........

-Fiercest :thumb:

the maxtors are quieter and faster, 8mb cache is worth it, the burst and sustained transfer speeds are fairly higher.

I'd go WD as they tend to put up better with OC'ing and I've just had great experiences with them

Well i USe to love WD, but my Western Digital 80 Gig 8MB cache, special edtion just died last night, and i'm currently in the process of a RMA for it.

1/ WD as I've swapped out more faultly Maxtor's than I care to remember (almost as bad as IBM's in my books) and there is no real world difference between WD's ATA100 rating and Maxtor's ATA133 one.
    2/ 8MB caches will sustain a longer data burst rate than a 2MB cache plus more data is available without physically readin' the drive disk so often.

Beefy Guest

Either drive. I'm currently running 5 Maxtor drives, and haven't had a problem with any of them, and WD drives are held in high regard by most people.

8MB cache is worth it.

No difference between Maxtor's and WD's performance wise, I've had both, had a WD die, My two maxtor's are still running strong. THat doesnt mean a thing though, drives from each side die, its part of the HDD life cycle : peace: . Ahem, back in reality, Maxtor's are quieter, so I'd go with them just for that fact. Also, 8MB cache's really do give you a nice performance boost, especially in games when you're loading a level, etc. So yes, the 8MB cache is definitely worth the extra $10. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

i run 2x WD's in my box, no problems at all. i am yet to hear of anyone i know that has had a Western Digital fail on them :thumb:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thoric
    i run 2x WD's in my box, no problems at all. i am yet to hear of anyone i know that has had a Western Digital fail on them :thumb:
    Did you read this thread? :)

Well i have a maxtor 160 gb drive running in this rig, no problem what so ever. :p
    Also have a wd 40 gig running in my dad's rig. Both are good. Only hdd that failed on me was my Seagate.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information