Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: DMA madness on an old system, please help.

Hi guys,
    I'm seeking help to solve a strange behaviour I've on my old PC. I'm using a MSI 6167 Mobo (Slot A, baby!) and I've got a Maxtor 91020u3 (DiamondMax 6800) as Primary IDE Master, an LG DVD as secondary master, and a Waitec Shuttle as secondary slave, all running under Windows XP.
    I can't activate Ultra DMA for my HD, and this is what took me to this point... the real strange thing is this: if I set in the bios UDMA as auto, all the peripherals run in PIO mode, except for the LG DVD, which runs as Multi Word DMA - 2 mode. If I set the bios UDMA to disabled, the HD and the Shuttle go up to DMA-2 mode (not UDMA, but at least it's an improvement), while the LG DVD displays its full power and runs in UDMA mode (which should be disabled in the bios)! Also, if I use the cable I'm currently using for the DVD/CD-RW for the HD, the HD stays fixed in PIO mode, don't ask me why cause they look the same old cables to me.
    Right now, I've run out of ideas... the mobo is using updated bios and drivers (I'm using live update utility from MSI to update it so I'm pretty sure it's current), and I've tried moving the peripherals into various "slots" such as running the HD as secondary master or slave too and nothing happened. Does anybody know a solution to my problem? It would be really great to be able to run the HD in full UDMA mode... thank you very much anticipately for your help, bye,
    Niky

Are you using 80wire cables for everything?

Don't think so (ok, I have to admit I can't recognize an 80 wire cable from a 40 wire cable :). I thought 80wire cables were used only from ATA-100 onward, while the mobo and the HD are ATA-66 compatible. Cheers,
    Niky

Thread Information