Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Scsi questions

Ok i have 2 identical scsi compaq 9.1gb wide-ultra scsi-3 68-pin drives.Ok thats what i know for sure what i dont know are these 160 or 320s?I need to get a controller still,I want one with built on raid. My mobo this setup will be goin in has 2 64bit/66mhz slots.I know there are standard pci cards and 64bit/66mhz cards.It seems to me that a 64bit card would be faster? So i dont know what kind of card to get,cause idk if I need a 160,320,32bit or 64bit. Any help plez! O and its for a dual amd mp server setup running xp with a gig of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by blazingsun750
    Ok i have 2 identical scsi compaq 9.1gb wide-ultra scsi-3 68-pin drives.Ok thats what i know for sure what i dont know are these 160 or 320s?I need to get a controller still,I want one with built on raid. My mobo this setup will be goin in has 2 64bit/66mhz slots.I know there are standard pci cards and 64bit/66mhz cards.It seems to me that a 64bit card would be faster? So i dont know what kind of card to get,cause idk if I need a 160,320,32bit or 64bit. Any help plez! O and its for a dual amd mp server setup running xp with a gig of ram.
    i believe ultra3 scsi has a maximum transfer rate of either 40 or 80 Mbs so an ultra 160 or 320 controller is overkill on those drives.. your stnadard ultra 3 scsi raid controller should be fine..

I run a Half-life game server and wanted to speed it up.Someone said SCSI was the way to go.Do I even need SCSI?Should I look into a raid ata setup or s/ata? From what I see scsi is only worth it if you have ultra160s or 320s,I have 2 ultras which top speed are 40mbs.....My board doesnt have raid or s/ata onboard so i would need a card.Which would be better for the game server as far as price and speed?

A Half-Life game server? I really doubt you would need SCSI to have a fast Half-Life server. Your Internet connection and processor should be larger factors. There are so many CS servers because the game doesn't need an insanely expensive system.

Agreed Im just goin with sata setup instead of spending all that money on scsi.

Thread Information