Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hard drive size, incorrect.

This has been driving me nuts!! i got a 200GB HD and installed it in WinXP Pro and it shows up as being 127GB and in explorer is says "Free Space: 127GB - Total Size: 127GB" Now this is mad... If i click on "properties" of the drive in "My Computer" is shows the pink circle (pie chart) as being completely pink (i.e. completely empty) but above it it says Free Space 127GB and Used Space 64GB. I have lost 64GB of space somewhere and when i try to format the disk (under disk management) it only allows 127GB as does the partition utility. HELP!!!

Info:
    WinXP Pro, P4, Dell Dimension 8250, 2.4Ghz

It because the IDE controller of your Dell doesn't support that size drive so you will have to get a PCI ATA133 controller card that does support those large drives.

Maybe....
    The system supports ATA100, so it could be a problem with Windows XP that will occur anyway, rather than a controler problem:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...ve_enabler.htm
    Usually you can't get more than 137GB, but it still a possible fix...

yeah.......you need the fix that Yawgm0th said.....that happened to me also but its because winxp only supports so many gbs.(LBA logic or some **** like that). i used to have 127gb on a 160gb, don't trully know why i didn't get 137gb.
    it doesn't matter what the ata support is.....thats just speeds(33,66,100,133,150(sata)). its the winxp that doesn't support it without the fix(wasn't that cleared with sp1a?)
    My rig:
    amd athlon xp 2500+ barton core @2.16GHZ (180mhz 12x)
    cooler master x-dream(with cooler master high performance thermal compound)
    mobo: asus a7n8x deluxe
    512mb of ddr pc-3200
    radeon 9500 pro
    pctv tuner card
    antec 5.1 speakers
    antec case with 5 80mm fans
    430 watts psu
    15" monitor @ 1024*768 32bit 70hz
    48x cd-rom, 52x24x52x cdrw
    2x 160gbs 7200 rpm 8mb buffer maxtor hdd
    win xp pro with sp1a
    all drivers updated

"They say that when you run a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices... But that's nothing - When you run it forwards it installs Windows"

No, in fact installing that fix without SP1 can cause huge problems.

And looking at that post again, I think I misunderstood before... Even if it's an ATA133 drive it should work, just at reduced speed.

Considering this post will be caught by a search engines crawlers and some user who has the same problem will probably look here for a solution, i find it necessary to post the solution to my particular problem.

It wasn't a hardware issue, it was windowsXP, service pack 1 for windows XP needs to be installed in order for any hard drive above 127GB to be accepted, otherwise it will only allow for hard drives under 127GB. I installed SP1 and everything is ok now.

If you happen to have an illiegal copy of windows you have just opened a whole other can of worms and all i can say is good luck. And PM me :P

Thread Information