Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Raid Problem

Hi, I'm new. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I post a question here. And also, who's ***** do I get to be?

Anyway, I have a Soyo K7V Dragon plus. I setup a Raid 0 configuration with two WD 10.2g HDs. All was working fine whilst installing Windows 98. Everything loaded fine, then I installed the raid driver. After this, the hd LED stays on during inactivity and I start getting BSODs when there is a lot of disk activity. It says:

Error writing to drive C:

Then, the entire system just locks. I have flashed my bios, and reloaded windows 98 to no avail. I even loaded windows 2000 (fresh) and tried the 2000 driver. Still no luck. I think it is something with the driver because I don't have problems until after it is loaded. I have e-mailed Soyo about this problem and they said they will do lab tests and get back to me. I don't think I will hear from them again. Plz hlp!
    :confused:
    T-Bird 1.2ghz @ 1.4ghz
    K7V Dragon +
    SB Live X-Gamer
    256mb Kingston PC2100
    Piped in 5000 btu A/C
    Volcano 7

Does your Soyo board use the Highpoint or Promise RAID controller?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

It's a Promise Fastrak 100. I'm starting to think I got a bum deal on this Dragon board. I liked the Highpoint much better.
    T-Bird 1.2ghz @ 1.4ghz
    K7V Dragon +
    SB Live X-Gamer
    256mb Kingston PC2100
    Piped in 5000 btu A/C
    Volcano 7

Yes, the Highpoint controllers do seem to be a little better from what I've heard around. But if you check out the Promise site, you may be able to get some better working drivers. Here's a good place to start:
    http://support.promise.com/

This isn't a guarantee that it will fix your problem, but if you're feeling certain that it is a driver problem, then at least this may give you a better set of drivers than those provided by the mainboard manufacturer.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thank you for your help. I will check this out and hopefully get this setup and working.
    T-Bird 1.2ghz @ 1.4ghz
    K7V Dragon +
    SB Live X-Gamer
    256mb Kingston PC2100
    Piped in 5000 btu A/C
    Volcano 7

I had a very similar problem with my Promise FastTrak 100 "Lite" under Win98SE, but can't remember how I fixed it - I use Win2K Pro now, but there was a way I fixed it - might have to have a little play around with it and get back to you about it mate :thumb:

BTW: When I get a BSOD for the raid (error writing to drive C:), I reset the computer and it locks at the raid detection screen in the bootup sequence. I have to turn the power off and back on to get it to reboot. Did you have this problem also Albinus?

Sorry, forgot to login first.

Also, I'm using 2000 pro now.
    T-Bird 1.2ghz @ 1.4ghz
    K7V Dragon +
    SB Live X-Gamer
    256mb Kingston PC2100
    Piped in 5000 btu A/C
    Volcano 7

Thread Information