Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid 0

Default Raid 0

I have been building a new system it has a Abit ic7-max3 motherboard a 3.2ghz pentium 4 with 1mb cache, 2gb corsair xtreme dual channel memory and I have 3 10,000 rpm WD raptors and I want to set them up in a Raid 0 stripped array. This is my first raid system so I just need a few pointers on how to set this up. Any comments will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Raid 0

I've never actually done a raid system before, but here is a link to a nice tutorial:

http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm

Hope that helps.

From the benchmarks I've see, RAID 0 doesn't really affect performance that much. But you might as well do it if you have three of those...

But I'd only use two of them for the array. Put your paging file on the third. You could even go without a RAID array and put paging file, OS, and applications each on their own drive. It's really hard to say what's best without testing different configurations . The only thing I can say is that RAID 0 makes very little difference in most real-world situations. Enough that you might as well do it if there's no faster alternative, but since there may be a faster alternative(s)...

If you are doing it for performance, AnandTech did a test with two fast Raptors in Raid 0 vs. a few other harddrive not in parallelism, if you want to see the results...

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

I, myself, would rather go for a Raid 1, I'd hate to loss all the data on a disk or have to hand over a lot of money to get some of it back, but the drives sound new, so I would guess it's not that much of a chance that it would happen (yet, there are flooks...).

RAID 1 could actually be faster than a RAID 0 setup if you tried it using FAT32 partitions. The way I look at it, the superior speed of FAT32 (over NTFS) would make up for the loss of speed from RAID 1 and the reliability of RAID 1 would make up for the lack of reliability of FAT32.

That said, I would still rather use all three hard drives for paging file, OS, and applications (with the OS partition used as the primary method of storage for files).

Hmm...I didn't know that, maybe I should try that (I have two fat32 partitions (both 20 gb) right know, though no means of using raid).

Thanks Yawgmoth

thanks for the replies. I have a friend who set up two 7500rpm drives in a raid 0 configuration and his windows install time went from around 35 minutes to 18 minutes. I just dont know if you can set it up with 3 drives. I know you can with 4. but im just not sure about three. My main reason for the whole setup is to make the games I play perform to their highest capability. I am running a nvidia 6800 overclocked graphics card. and want it to perform well with the system
    Last edited by DavidWilliam; 07-17-2004 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWilliam
    I have been building a new system it has a Abit ic7-max3 motherboard a 3.2ghz pentium 4 with 1mb cache, 2gb corsair xtreme dual channel memory and I have 3 10,000 rpm WD raptors and I want to set them up in a Raid 0 stripped array. This is my first raid system so I just need a few pointers on how to set this up. Any comments will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    i will help you i run 4 wd raptors in raid 0. my experience has been that onboard controllers are SLOW. i would suggest you purchase a 4 channel controller card. now if you do be sure to disable all onboard raid through the bios prior to installing the controller card. trust me this is a must. another note, i have tried every strip size from 16kb thru 2mb and 512kb is fastest. you will need to have a floppy drive enabled for the raid drivers and push f6 as soon as setup boots. you will love it and, wonder how you lived without it before. 3 drives will work better than 2 my install time is around 10-12 min. it is not so much for games as it is everything else
    Last edited by djon; 07-17-2004 at 01:26 PM.

I run 2 maxtor 60gb SATA on raid 0 and the raid 0 dramatically increases data transfer on discs from what i noticed. I tried the drives as 2 seperate and loaded far cry, timed it out to a 25sec. load time, the Raid 0 load time is 10sec.

That's on the first level, first time starting the level. Data transfer is much faster, but you don't really need that on a gaming system since it uses more cpu than seperate drives, i just preferre it.
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

Not to change the topic or anything, but how much faster is FAT32 over NTFS? NTFS also allows you to have all your files compressed----does that change anything? (Besides taking up less space?)
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information