Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: hooking up an external HD to a router

Default hooking up an external HD to a router

Is there a way to hook up a USB 2.0 external HD to a router so I can use it bewteen my computers without constantly having to moev the drive around? I seen a few new 200gb ones that have ethernet plugins and can do that but how about an older ext Hd?

Default Re: hooking up an external HD to a router

Why try to hook it up through the router? There are several external conversion kits that allow a USB port to connect the hard drive to one of the systems. From there you only need set it up as a shared drive and all systems on the network can access it. It isn't as fast as a standard drive on an IDE channel, but it is certainly workable. I'll have a review posted soon of this very device from Thermaltake and should have another one from Vantec within the week to test as well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Could try that, but I dont leave my main computer on 24/7.

Sounds like you just need to make a small server box and hook it into your network. Spare parts should work and set it up with a couple of extra drives you have lying around. Since it won't have a real purpose, there wouldn't be any reason not to leave it running all the time.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information