Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im new but i want to transform my room into a computer cna you help :)?

Default Re: Im new but i want to transform my room into a computer cna you help :)?

Fair enough.

Default Re: Im new but i want to transform my room into a computer cna you help :)?

I may be off base here, but I think you need to focus on getting a good regular computer built before you tackle a Semi-Super computer. RAID 5 can be a real pain to setup, and let's not get into SCSI. SCSI properly configured is tops for stability and speed, but given the price barrier - especially for mistakes - I think you should stick with SATA equipment, as the SATA/RAID controllers are super easy. You just plug the drives in and follow the wizard.

I have another suggestion. If you want a "Power" machine, and want to start small. Get something like an old Xeon workstation. You can used/refurbished Dual Core Xeon systems in the 4.0 ghz range (2.0ghz x 2) for next to nothing. You can order a few of those, get some refurbed HD's, a server rack or two and start building a mountainous computer from scratch. It's what I did. I don't even have a video card yet and my new (used) computer is ten times faster than my other computer (2 ghz, AMD XP 64 Palamino, somp'm, somp'm, 756 mb of ram, Geforce 4 256 DDR, RAID 10 array of 60 gig satas.) And that computer is speedy as heck.

I think that would be more price efficient than to start buying equipment outright, and hope it all works together. Email me and I'll give you a few links to go check out for good refurbbed stuff. :-) drandon@adelphia.net

I'm sure that post would have been really helpful a year and a half ago...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information