Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sil 680 RAID IDE doesn't boot

Default Sil 680 RAID IDE doesn't boot

Hi,

I've recently purchased Sil 680 based RAID ATA-133 IDE PCI controller (made by STLabs) in order to connect additional Hard Disk to my home PC. The box said "RAID optional", so I though that I can use the adapter as a regular IDE controller at first, and may be use it as RAID later on.

I put the controller in empty PCI slot and my PC booted OK. The controller was visible in Win XP and I even could properly install it's drivers.
    However as soon as I connected Hard Disk to it, the following happens:
    *) my PC goes through BIOS POST
    *) the RAID controller prints the following message:
    Sil 680 ATA/133 medley RAID controller
    BIOS Version <smth> Press F3 to enter RAID utility.
    *) the RAID controller prints the name of detected HDD drive
    and then it stucks there - PC doesn't proceed to booting the OS.

I'm pretty lost here. I tried pressing F3 and got into some RAID settings, but couldn't make any difference. Tried playing with jumpers on the card (J1, D1 and D2) - no luck too...

Any idea on what's going on?
    BTW - I'm using K7S5A motherboard with 26/02/2002 BIOS (earlier BIOSes had problems with RAID controllers, but this one should be fine)...

Thx,
    Alex

Default Re: Sil 680 RAID IDE doesn't boot

I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking I need to change the boot options in the bios to raid/scsi. I'm going to give that a try. Let me know if you have figured it out yet - btw, I'm using the same card.

Did you make any progress with this issue? I didn't ...

Thumbs up Re: Sil 680 RAID IDE doesn't boot

My computer worked fine with the card, but i had the same problem after flashing the ata-bios. Refleshing the available raid-bios didnīt help.
    I searched for other bios-versions and found an older one. After flashing that bios the controller worked again in the socket7 mainboard.
    With my athlon-mainboard the controller worked fine with all bios-versions

Quote Originally Posted by alexagr
    I put the controller in empty PCI slot and my PC booted OK. The controller was visible in Win XP and I even could properly install it's drivers.
    However as soon as I connected Hard Disk to it,
    Do you mean that after you installed that card you swapped your main hard drive over to the card without reinstalling XP?

Don't know how many people are still looking at this but....
    I've found that the Raid Controller will not boot if the Legacy USB is enabled in my BIOS.
    Legacy = Keyboard/ Mouse USB functionality for bios. I have a Tyan Tiger MP (S2460) Using the Phoenix CMOS/BIOS
    This is the only work around I've found. If the Legacy USB is enabled you have 2 options if cannot get into BIOS one take out card and disable, 2 clear CMOS memory with jumper. (Legacy USB isn't considered a standard on my board though)

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    Do you mean that after you installed that card you swapped your main hard drive over to the card without reinstalling XP?
    Yes - is there any problem with this?
    Note that I connected my second hard disk to it - the 1st (boot) hard disk was still connected to the on-board IDE controller. I've also tried connecting my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives to the RAID card - with the same result - as soon as anything is connected to the RAID card my BIOS hangs after POST.

Angry Re: Sil 680 RAID IDE doesn't boot

I had the same problem here but found a way to go around it, it appears this cheap raid controller has some problem with usb mouse, so I used an usb/ps2 adapter and pluged it in the ps2 port and it booted perfectly. The problem is that sometimes it finds my hdd and sometimes it doesnt, also when it detects after using windows for a while the hdd turns itself off and my computer hangs up. Word of advise, stay away from this Raid controller.

Quote Originally Posted by alejandro_m1
    I had the same problem here but found a way to go around it, it appears this cheap raid controller has some problem with usb mouse, so I used an usb/ps2 adapter and pluged it in the ps2 port and it booted perfectly. The problem is that sometimes it finds my hdd and sometimes it doesnt, also when it detects after using windows for a while the hdd turns itself off and my computer hangs up. Word of advise, stay away from this Raid controller.
    This sounds like a power problem to me.

I have a Highpoint RAID controller running a RAID5 setup with 4xSATA disks. I used to have a problem where one disk would fail during post, or it would fail during use. This of course resulting in rebuild when the disc popped back up. It turns out that replacing the PSU along with the SATA power cable (socket converters) removed this problem compleetly.

" I've recently purchased Sil 680 based RAID ATA-133 IDE PCI controller (made by STLabs) in order to connect additional Hard Disk to my home PC. The box said "RAID optional", so I though that I can use the adapter as a regular IDE controller at first, and may be use it as RAID later on."

I thought the same, I don't have a boot problem or any other real problems. I just don't understand the impact or affect of not configuring the RAID function. To be more clear - I wanted just another IDE controller. What I got was the sil680 with raid. I have two drives connected, one master on each connector. The system sees them, I can write to them, I can copy, delete, etc. But when the computer boots it shows the RAID menu, lists the drives, then goes on. In windows the card shows up as a SCSI RAID controller though instead of just an IDE controller. I have read a lot of other posts/threads on this and a lot of people who are having problems with the card (burners crash when burning, etc) say to flash the bios to non-raid version. Well I'm not having any problems and I really don't want to do a flash or bios update if I don't have to.

So my question is: Even though this device is seen as a SCSI RAID controller, if I have 2 hard drives connected, one on each IDE connector. And I leave everything default in the boot menu (don't push F3 or try to configure any RAID). Is there any impact on my drives? Are they still just regular drives, no RAID activity (mirroring or striping going on)? I could take one of the drives off and move it to the mother board IDE and it would see it without losing any data? Is the card acting as a standard IDE controller?

I realize I'm probably worrying about nothing but I would like to understand what I have gotten myself into with this card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information