Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD Raptor drive

Default WD Raptor drive

Hi, I am in the process of building a new pc and was wondering about the difference with the WD raptor drive and normal drives? I know that the RPM is for example 10,000 and 15,000 compared to the 7500.

First question, for people who have or used the raptor drive, is there noticable speed increases compared to a normal WD HD?

Also I heard that the HD is the main bottleneck in a setup but with a raptor drive it is considerably better? I thought it came down to cpu, video card ect.

If I do go for a raptor drive, is there only certain mainboards, cpu's that I can use with it?

Thanks.

Default Re: WD Raptor drive

You can use on a Raptor on any motherboard with Serial-ATA (SATA). They provide a huge increase in performance over regular WD drives and any other brands 7200rom 8mb cache drives for that matter. Well worth the money if you can afford them.

Are they installed the same as normal drives?

As far as installation goes, yes. You have a power connector and a data connector, they are just different types than those used on a standard IDE device. The main difference comes when you connect them to the system and use them to install Windows (or other OS). You'll need to hit F6 when it prompts you for a SCSI or RAID driver. Using the floppy disk that comes with the mainboard (or following the instructions to create one) will allow you to use the drive normally from then on.

It is simple, really. I just made the change myself from IDE to SATA.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Great thanks. I have a few months to look into it but I think I am certain on buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    You can use on a Raptor on any motherboard with Serial-ATA (SATA). They provide a huge increase in performance over regular WD drives and any other brands 7200rom 8mb cache drives for that matter. Well worth the money if you can afford them.
    I wouldn't say HUGE increase over regular drives, but there's definitely a difference. A Raptor will usually perform slightly worse than a striped RAID array, which is a reasonable performance increase over a normal drive. It all depends on whether you want to take the storage space hit over speed.

[QUOTE=Mutineer]I wouldn't say HUGE increase over regular drives, but there's definitely a difference. A Raptor will usually perform slightly worse than a striped RAID array, which is a reasonable performance increase over a normal drive. It all depends on whether you want to take the storage space hit over speed.[/<!-- / message -->QUOTE]

For that soloution I was thinking to have the 74gb Raptor drive for windows and applications/games, and another normal 7500 drive 60gig for data.
    Last edited by Slavic Sniper; 09-17-2004 at 05:53 AM.

get 2x 74gb Raptors in Raid 0 :d
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Or, get 4 80GB SATA drive in RAID 0, get more space and more speed. Oh, and it costs less, too.

I can't see many situations where it wouldn't just be smarter to get multiple, cheaper drives instead of the raptor. You can use RAID 0 or put the paging file, programs, and OS ano seperate drives, and you'll be able to get more space and speed for your money by using cheaper, 7200RPM SATA drives.

Hey mate, you got any links where I can research raid 0? I know nothing about it atm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information