Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Chaintech or Maxtor or IBM DJNA drives

Default Chaintech or Maxtor or IBM DJNA drives

I have an IBM DJNA family 5400rpm 15Gb HDD and a MAXTOR 6Y120L0 7200rpm HDD installed on to a Chaintech 7AJA2E motherboard. These components are supposed to support SMART technology which I enabled through the BIOS.

Problem is, I am using MBM5 to monitor the SMART status and all I get are two sensors named MAX... one local and one remote, both of which show 11 degrees celcius.

My guess is that the IBM drive does not have heat sensors whilst the MAXTOR drive is displaying two sensors, but 11C does not make much sense to me.

Can anyone tell me what the remote and local sensors do?
    Am I right in saying that the IBM drive has no heat sensor.
    Should the BIOS or MBM5 be able to provide me with more SMART related data?
    If SMART detects anything, how am I notified? Lots of websites say what SMART does, but none I came across revealed how the info being collected, can be accessed.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Chaintech or Maxtor or IBM DJNA drives

Try using hddtemp.com - HDD Temperature Program

Let me know how it is working for you.....my maxtor 120 GB reads 48 degrees without a fan and with two fans on top(cheap 3 dollars) I managed to reduce that to 42 degrees, which is not enough....looks like I need to spend some more pennies for it to make it icecool

Thought I would bring onemore thing to your atanetion....I told you that my Maxtor 120 GB reads 42-44 degrees with a cheap fan. There was one IBM harddrive which was really hot and was making the maxtor passively hot....because maxtor was sitting on the top bay....I moved the IBM out and put the maxtor alone with cheap 3$ fan....to my surprise it reads on 36 degrees!! which is really appreciable.....coz my brand new dell read 34 degrees with the best ventialition which dell gives.....I am happy now!

so bottom line is that if you have any devices nearby, try to keep it away from the new one and buy the cheapest dual fan you can get......bingo!

The IBM drive runs at 42C whereas the Maxtor runs at around 37C to 39C.

Thanks, I sorted out the problem. MBM5 works great.

Thread Information