Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know this is a dumb question, but....

Default Re: I know this is a dumb question, but....

I could see Windows (we aren't talking about just XP, either...) as being used with that many physical drives, but it just seems unlikely that there's any use for that many logical drives.

Its cheaper to replace all the drives and buy a few say 300GB drives in a server application... Although I have seen a few server systems runnning windows(various versions) most companies would prefer linux for a server situation. The workstations however would run windows most likely. Our school server runs windows 2000 pro for an example of a windows environment. And the bank I did used a Linux, XP pro setup.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    A & B are always reserved for floppy drives then C to Z for others and that's the limit, there is no more.
    Actually, if you don't have a floppy drive, you can assign the letters to something else. I'm using it on my networked drive, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    Actually, if you don't have a floppy drive, you can assign the letters to something else. I'm using it on my networked drive, for example.
    As already posted here much earlier ;),
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Your computer can use up to 26 drive letters, from A through Z. Use drive letters C through Z for hard disk drives. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives. However, if your computer does not have a floppy disk drive, you can assign these letters to removable drives.
    sorry
    Last edited by wayout44; 11-24-2004 at 09:22 PM.

So you can only label a max of 26? That sucks. Aw, screw it. I'm setting up my servers using Red Hat. God bless labeling in Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which version of Red Hat is the best to set up a P2P network? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information