Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAID 5: Controller and HDDs

Question RAID 5: Controller and HDDs

Just yesterday I was unfortunately treated to the heart-wrenching failure of my ~230GB RAID-0 set-up. It's a complete loss because I don't have an external HDD to backup to yet. The DiamondMax 120GB HDDs are not being replaced by Maxtor because they are four months past the end of their one-year warranty so I'm "free" to purchase from any brand (and I'd like to stay away from Maxtor, their customer service was not the most friendly I've ever encountered). I've decided that my next storage solution will be a RAID-5 array because now that I've lost about a year of stuff on my computer I'm desperate for the redundancy. I'm shooting for a usable capacity of around 200GB so I guess I've got to buy 3x100GB drives for RAID-5.

I'm posting in these forums because I'd like to get opinions regarding the hardware I should be purchasing. I don't feel I need to go to SATA because I've never really felt the my system was sluggish enough to warrant the extra expense. However, if anyone disagrees with my assessment I'd like to hear from you. Essentially, I'm just looking for recommendations on which RAID-5 capable controller card people think I should be purchasing and which brand/model of drives would suit my needs. I'm trying to keep the whole purchase (controller card, and 3xHDD) under $300 since I am a college student paying outrageously high tuition (damn you Iowa, charging so much for us out-of-state'ers!)

I'd appreciate any recommendations from the knowledgeable people on this board since I'm sure that most of you know quite a bit more about the nitty-gritty details of this stuff than I do. Thanks.

--------------------
    Pentium IV 2.5 GHz
    1.00 GB RAM
    GeForce4 4400Ti
    **FAILED** 230GB RAID 0

Default Re: RAID 5: Controller and HDDs

For $86.50 you can pick up either a IDE or SATA Highpoint RAID controller (at Newegg) that does RAID5. It isn't the best available, but it will be the closest thing available for your budget, and Highpoint does know RAID. You can also pick up Western Digital 120GB hard drives for about $74 each but they only have a 2MB cache. For $86.35 each you can grab up some 120GB SATA drives (WD again) that will fit your storage needs. Considering that SATA is only marginally more expensive than IDE, I tend to go that route of late.

You can probably tell that I go with Western Digital as my hard drive of choice. They have a good product and I have several that have been around for many years and still function perfectly. I would recommend staying away from Hitachi drives as they are nothing more than IBM under a new label, and we all remember the infamous IBM "DeathStar" drives that were dying faster than any other drive on the market.

There are other solutions but they are going to be pricey. That is about the cheapest RAID5 solution to be had and still maintain enough reliability to be considered viable.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for the quick response. The set-up that you described seems to be just what I was looking for. I do have on question though--HighPoint offers a very expensive SATA RAID controller with "improved XOR calculations," however, they offer a IDE RAID controller with on-chip XOR for a lot less than the SATA solution. Wouldn't it be better for me to go with IDE hardware XOR rather than SATA with software XOR?

I know what raid 0,1 and stuff is but what does raid 5 do?
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Hardware calculations will almost always be better than software, but since you stated that you didn't have any issues with speed to begin with I didn't take this heavily into consideration. I haven't heard of any reliability issues with regards to using the software based setup so you should still be fine from that standpoint.

Amd_Lover2004,
    RAID5 allows you to have the redundancy of a RAID0+1 setup but using only three hard drives instead of four. Two are married to form the storage area and the third is set apart for mirroring the data; albeit in a compressed format. This is a very simplistic answer to the process but hopefully explains the purpose of a RAID5 array.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes it does thank you
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

A couple links for relevant RAID info..
    http://www.acnc.com/
    http://www.beefysworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600

Read through that thread, skipping the parts where I just talk about what I was trying to do (take note of Wordbiker's advice).

For hard drives, I'd probably recommend Seagate for the five-year warranty, which will be useful when the drives die (assuming they last three years).

Thread Information