Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my HD Date Really Gone?

Default Is my HD Date Really Gone?

Hello there , I run a Win2K system with 384 SDRam , and a 40GB Western Digital Hard Drive. But before this drive I had a Fujitsu 6.00GB I need help here because I used to have important files there I decided to upgrade to the 40 because im into video editing and I store movies. so today I decided to pop up my old HD the fujitsu one , I turned on the system and WHOA! it stated "No OS Found" all connections are correct but I FOUND that the hard drive doesnt turn on? say what? my western does can it be , it finally died? please HELP! I need that HD back to life! ~ from a n00b

Default Re: Is my HD Date Really Gone?

From what I understand, you are connecting 2 hard drives into your computer and want to transfer files over, did you set the 6GB hard drive, the one that has your important files to slave? and made sure your main hard drive is master? also, did you make sure you didn't share an IDE cable w/ 1 of your hard drives w/ your CDROM Drive? these are the only things that I can think of that would cause you to not load up windows after installing a hard drive, when your computer was just fine. Lemme know what you found out and if you fixed the problem after checking these problems first.

Ok,I have it configured like this 1 cable includes the CDRW and the WD40GB , I connected a seperate IDE to the Fujitsu 6.00GB it has its own channel its set on slave,"update" the hard drive did turned on but now i see a bigger problem my system detected it and marked it as"0GB" also it merged with my WD40GB what is the problem now? I disconnected it untill i get an answer from you thanks

Wow that is strange to see your main hard drive merging your 2nd hard drive, and it reads 0GB hm.. Something tells me either the hard drive is dead, or you might need to run a disk checking software on that 6GB drive to see if it has any bad clusters and to see if it can repair the clusters. From what I read from a few topics on this site, you can get back your files from your hard drive even if you formatted the thing 8 times. I would have to look into this more, I will look back on this when I get back from work, that's where I gotta go now in 10mins so I don't have much time to check into this matter now, just was checking for a reply. But hang in there will see if we can't get something figured out w/ that drive...

Also if anyone that is reading this knows what I'm talking about and what software he can use to repair his drive and get back his lost files, please go ahead and post them if you beat me to it before I get back. Thanks

Also you might be able to find it by looking on the topics here while I'm gone about getting back lost files after formatting a hard drive.

Hey just re-read your message again and thought something over. Never connect a CDROM and a Hard Drive on the same IDE cable, it can cause problems. and you said you had it setup to a special channel, have it on a default channel and set the slave to a default slave, and nothing extra. make sure ur hard drives share the IDE cable and the power cables are properly firmly attached, same w/ the IDE cables. Also are you using a mix of IDE and SATA cables? more information of what happend exactly before you upgraded to a 40GB hard drive would be great to know as well, as well as where it has been stored and for how long, until you decided to plug it back into your computer.

Anyways check those things and I'll get back w/ ya later, Good Luck!

Ok, well information on this is that its been like 2 years since i disconnected it , it was put onto a box and never seen the light of day untill today, yeah really old

Dang, well.. It could be like they say w/ cars, if you don't run them like they're ment, which is almost every day then the parts wear out from lack of use and then eventually the parts in it won't work shortly after or never when you start it up again... This same scenario could be happening w/ your hard drive.. I suggest since you can't even get to the drive running from what I mentioned earlier. Just try and format the thing in DOS using FDISK, or Format it in Windows XP using the right click Format, whatever you do just try and format the drive and see if you can actually get 6GB of space back on it again, if not and it still says 0, then I think your drive is damaged or maybe has been damaged from storage for so long... If the drive was stored away for 2yrs then those files must of not have been that important then eh? hehe. Anyways let me know what happens.

What about those professionals? that can recover your data? whats the inside scoop on hiring one of them?

Well its software that can regain data from a formatted hard drive. It can be a tedious process, so recovering the most important files first is a must. But since you can't even get the drive to acknowledge it has 6GB of space on it and it shows up as 0 and doesn't give you access to the space, you might as well format it now. Then run one of those programs to recover the files. I'll go look up the forum now that I saw it on, it was on this site in the hard drive section further in the list.

What you will need to do anyways is format the drive and make sure that your drive is even readable. This will be the first step, since it will say okay I'm formatted and I have 6GB of free space. Then we know the drive is in working condition and is not broken, then you can run the software to recover files.

Now if you format it, and it still comes up as 0GB of space, or you have an error formatting it. Then it's most likely damaged and unrepairable unless sent to the manufacturer to get refurbished. But theres another problem w/ this as well. They will send you a drive back most likely if its still under warranty. But if they can't fix it, they will send you a replacement drive and then recovering ur lost files will be a lost cause since its a completely different drive.

Also if the drive doesn't format try and run a hard drive repair utility on it, like a disk checker or something. Usually windows xp comes w/ it's own scan disk but I doubt it works the best like any program that comes installed w/ windows. So you might wanna search for a 3rd party hard drive checking tool.

I'll go find the names of programs that are used in recovering your files, but if you don't do the things I mentioned first and let me know how the drive is, then the programs won't help you out anyways.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...light=Recovery

there is the forum link for someone losing 120GB of stuff and wanting to recover it from his hard drive. There are some links of programs displayed there so pretty much pick whatever you think might be suited for you and download the program, but do it After you have done what I suggested to make sure your drive is even operational. Hope it works and tell me what happens if your drive is working or not.
    Last edited by Xeno326; 01-20-2005 at 06:47 AM.

Thanks a bunch, WOW 120GB? godamn, so yeah Xeno ill let you know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information