Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Changing file formats

Default Changing file formats

In about a month i will be building a new rig to replace my old P3. My old pc's 10gb HD is using FAT32 file system. I noticed that now most people seem to use NTFS, so i assume its better? So i will probably uses NTFS on my new 80GB HD (IDE not SATA). My problem is that once i build the rig i would like to temporarily connect my old HD as secondary in order to transfer all my suff. Will this be possible if they are 2 different file formats?

Also i will be using an SATA optical drive, will this be auto-detected in the bios like what happens with an IDE drive where u boot from CD for your first windows install. Or should i do something else to get it to work for my 1st boot.

Default Re: Changing file formats

Set up the new system normally (without the old hard drive) and get Windows installed. Assuming you're using WinXP (since Win9x doesn't support NTFS), you can simply set it up as a slave drive on the primary IDE channel leaving the new 80GB as master. Windows will automatically assign a drive letter and you can simply copy/paste your data from the old drive to the new. I also usually recommend setting up multiple partitions on the new drive so if (when) Windows finally craps out on you and it is time for a reinstall, you can scrap the C:\ drive and still have all important data saved on another partition, safe and sound.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks Darth. Small change of plans though, i've decided to go for a new SATA drive instead, although i doubt there will be any benefits in practice - will there? So how do i access the IDE when using SATA as the boot device?

There are slight speed improvements with SATA over IDE.

As to the methodology, it will be the same. You'll just need to make sure that the BIOS properly reflects the boot sequence as SATA before IDE deives and you should be set.
    My Toys

But now i will have to set the old IDE drive's jumpers to master right? Because otherwise it will be the only drive on an IDE channel and it will be a slave without a master. Is it possible to operate like that?

If it is the only drive on the primary IDE channel it will need to be set to either single device or master, whatever is appropriate for your particular drive.
    My Toys

Thread Information