Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Not Letting Me Reformat the hard drive on my IBM Notebook

Default Not Letting Me Reformat the hard drive on my IBM Notebook

Hi,

I'm trying to reformat my hard drive on my notebook and install a clean copy of WinXP.

The problem is that I tried to install a fresh copy off of the cd, which it did but it didn't reformat and erase the hard drive it just installed over the old WinXP version. So all the old program files I was trying to get rid of stayed just where they were.

I rebooted and tried to get to the BIOS config utility, but IBM has a special utility that I can't seem to get around and it doesn't let you do a complete reformat, the most it will do is restore the factory presets (so it will reformat may hard drive and reinstall the version of winXP that came with the notebook and then reinstall all the IBM utilities I don't want).

Is there a utility I can downlaod that will wipe the hard drive so i can start from scratch?

Default Re: Not Letting Me Reformat the hard drive on my IBM Notebook

There are lots of utilities. You just need soemthing to delete the partitions currently on the drive. Windows XP will create and format the partition itself. If you have a Windows 98 computer, you can just copy Fdisk to a boot disk and use that. If you don't, the first result of my Google search will provide what you need.

Thanks! I'll try the windows XP setup disk.

During XP setup you will be given the option to install to a partition or to delete a partition which basically reformats the partition before installation can continue.

Thread Information