Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: invisible partition?

Default invisible partition?

Hi, just purchased a laptop on Ebay with 40 gig hdd but in control panel/system only says its 14 or so gig whereas in control panel/ admin tools/ computer management/disk management it gives true size but says its completely full(its not)...have Parition Magic 8 but cannot get any luck in reclaiming rest of hdd. Do I have to delete all and start again and if so will a format do the trick?
    cheers

Default Re: invisible partition?

Yes, you can hide partitions. It is also possible that the drive has Linux partitions included... which Windows will not assign a drive letter to. I would have assumed that Partition Magic would be able to reclaim the lost space. but maybe not (chalks up another reason to dislike the program). You should be able to remove all partitions and set the disk size to the full 40GB with either the Disk Management tools in WinXP or FDisk in Win9x. Once you remove the partition structure just set the drive to use the entire disk space (or whatever you want the partitions to be) and go from there.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: invisible partition?

so will I lose all data ?.....and is there any special procedure to follow with Disk Management tools?
    cheers

Thread Information