Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Raid Newbie.....

Question Raid Newbie.....

COMPUTER SPECS:

AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ SOC 939 w/ HEATSINK & FAN
    ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE (BIOS 1013)
    BFG 7800 GT OC
    OCZ 1GB DUAL CHANNEL PLATINUM EDITION (OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K) 2-3-2-5 (2.7v)
    2 x W.D. 160GB HDD SATA 2/300 8MB 7200RPM
    LG GSA-4163B 16x DVD-RW
    THERMALTAKE TSUNAMI CASE w/ SIDE WINDOW PANEL (2x120mm & 1x90mm FANS)
    OCZ MODSTREAM 520W PSU
    WINDOWS XP PRO w/ SP2
    DIRECT X 9.0c

as u can see from above I have a pair of western digital 160gb sata2/300 hdds.....I wanna do a raid 0 on them.....but the thing is I don't have a 3.5" floppy disk drive....so I was wondering if there is a possible way 2 raid the hdds w/o a fdd???.....

Default Re: Raid Newbie.....

There are a few options here.

You can remake the Windows XP CD with the RAID drivers already installed. I can provide instructions, but if you don't think you can do it then there are other options.

You can install Windows on a different drive. You wouldn't need the drivers during the installaton if you were installing drive. But, since you don't appear to have a third drive, this option is probably impossible.

I'm not sure since I've never tried, but you might be able to put the drivers on a CD instead of a floppy.

Finally, you could spend $0-$10 on a floppy. It's such a simple thing to do that I don't reall yunderstand why this is even a problem. I've got many friends with spares, and they're cheap to buy even if I didn't.

hey yawgmoth!.....that would be cool if u could provide instructions....the reason I asked is b/c I'm lazy 2 go buy a FDD...lol...sorry....BUT....if u think its just easier 4 me just go 2 buy a FDD & save my time from trying 2 do all this work....then its cool....also....burning it on a cd instead of a floppy might be a good idea....but I don't want 2 waste a cd-r on a tiny file...& I'm not sure if it might work also.....buying a 3rd HDD is another good idea....I was thinking of buying a 36gb raptor hdd anyways.....what do u think???.....thanks again!

The CD is the fastest and cheapest, and IMO it's impossible to waste a CD-R because they're worth somewhere between ten and twenty-five cents. Getting a floppy drive is the most certain solution. However, if you do get a third HDD, there's no reason to do either.

Thread Information