Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMA or PIO?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    That warning is a standard windows thing but you should be able to run it though with no problems.
    Also is this a brand name pc or has it just been assembled by a local store? :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>
    It is assembled at a local store. :hammer: :)

if u have BIOS access, it should list some sort of drive ID in the bios be it a stupid collection of numbers, or an actual textual model name, if you were to find that out, i could probably help you, but chances are, that if its 20Gb, like they said, it'll support DMA, DMA in its basic form is nothing, also it is worth checking that DMA is enabled in BIOS as well as the latest version of your IDE drivers are installed for the sake of your drive.

if the drive happens to be an IBM or the likes (which i doubt in a PC they stop u from tinkering with) then possibly the drive died, or is dying was too hot or pplain old data corruption... regardless, if DMA does turn out to kill the drive, chaces are its either faulty, dying or not what you paid for...
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

As you are share the opinion that a 20Gb HD probably would support DMA, I took the risk and enabled it.
    It works (sofar :D ) because I performed the sandra benchmark for drives and it is much faster now :)

Hopefully it keeps doing wel :D

Thanks all of you helping me out; if I have another problem I know where I have to be for help :cheers:

If you want the brand of HD in your computer, use the System Information utility. It lists the brand of components.

Not exactly?
    unless both of mine are GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE46

Maybe someone put Western Digital stickers on them?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Ask the local store what they think, and if you get a positive yes from them (a tech not a counter guy) do it, and if stuff goes wrong use the warranty. If there was no warranty, raise hell about how they told you something false. A PC shop will be very inclined to help if they think it was mostly their fault.

And i agree there should be no problems to any of it.

I have used the DMA-settings now since my last post and things still work, so no need for me to go to a store to ask them advice anymore :)

Brainwave, like Mr. C says, that sys info doesn't give the brand-name. It shows the name of my generic drivers.... :(

Thanks again for all the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information