Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Drive letter and hotswap

Red face Drive letter and hotswap

I'd been asking several places but never got an useful answer. So her in TT it is now:

How is it possible to take in and out EX. External USB drives, or SATA drives in a way so it never changes the drive letter EX: H is stil H even after a Reeboot without that drive ind the computer. But as soon I put it back it is "H" and nothing else.
    Im thingking aboet af kind of lock-program.... ??

Default Re: Drive letter and hotswap

I haven't tried it with full blown USB hard drives, but I use several Flash-type thumb drives at work and I go into the Disk Management utility (right-click My Computer, go to "Manage", then choose Disk Management) and assign a drive letter there. Now when I plug in different thumb drives that I've assigned, the system remembers them and assigns them the same drive letter.

Don't know if it will help you out, but its worth and shot and doesn't cost a dime... and the above assumes you are using WinXP. If another OS, things will be different.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Drive letter and hotswap

When you remove the USB drive do you right click on the drive first and click "Safely Remove"?

Thread Information