Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best Extern Harddrive out there?

Question Best Extern Harddrive out there?

Hey all,

I`m not really familiar with picking out the best parts for my computer.. (but im learning)..

Anyway, i need some help on buying the a good Extern Harddrive(with USB/Firewire).

I heard that some of these devices are not really good for saving data since they:

-lose some of the data stored on it ??
    ---

I would like to hear all the reasons why NOT to buy one, and why you WOULD or already have bought one.

I need one to save/backup data for school/work purposes, i would prob. go for a 250gb.. what do you guys think i should buy?

Thnx in advance.

Default Re: Best Extern Harddrive out there?

I haven't looked too deeply at the external drive market lately, but last time I did it was cheaper to get a normal drive and an external exclosure. This allows you to use whatever drive you want and has (in the past at least) been more cost effective. Drives are not too high as a rule and the external enclosures (Vantec, Thermaltake and Bytecc are just a few of the companies that make these) are usually in the neighborhood of $40-50US.

As to losing data, I have never had an issue with this.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Ok, thnx for the info so far.

I have another question if you dont mind,

What is the best company in your eyes that makes normal drives (200/250gb), and what in your eyes are the best/ is the best company that makes external exclosures? Or isnt is really a big difference and should i go for the best prize?

4. Default Re: Best Extern Harddrive out there?

Well, I would go for a Western Digital hd. They make some pretty good ones.

I hate to butt in, but I've been looking in on getting one of these enclosures. Newegg has a few.

I did have my own question, though. I would like to get a hd that's around 40 gigs. It would be running through a USB 2.0 port. Would it be worth it to get a raptor?

Skinny87 - Most of them are very similar in design and function. Get one that has the features you like at a price you can afford. As to hard drives, I have had very good luck with Western Digital and Seagate.

PG997 - Don't waste your money on a Raptor if you're looking at an external enclosure. The USB nor Firewire data ports will max out the drive in performance, so the Raptor would be overkill.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I use an IOMEGA 80GB usb 2.0 external. I think it cost $80. Anyways, I've had it for a year now and it doesn't have any problems. I just use it for backup purposes, especially between locations and it works fine. I don't leave it running 24/7 like some of my drives. You can get better drives now for cheaper, but I've been happy with what I got. $80 a year ago for an external drive was good.

Thread Information