Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ways to recover data/image of drive

Default Ways to recover data/image of drive

I lost a hard drive a while back to a power spike when my old PSU blew a rail...the drive, a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160gb, model 6Y160P0.... the chip it fried is stamped SMOOTH LZ250E 1.2, well I think it says Z, I dunno, the hole that got blown through it is right under the lettering...in any case windows wont recognize the HDD...is it safe to say no program will be able to get the data off, and the only way to recover it is to swap out the boards on it? Thanks guys...

BTW-its been a long time since I posted here....feels good to be back... :)

Default Re: Ways to recover data/image of drive

Welcome back!

I haven't swapped boards before so I won't say how well this concept works, but it is very safe to say that in the drive's current condition, there isn't any software utlities that will retrieve the data since these programs require the drive heads to be able to access the platters to retrieve information.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

huh, you'd better send the drive to local data recovery company to fix it and recover data.

---------------------
    EASEUS Data Recovery

The IT guy here at work says he swaps boards quite a bit and gets all the broken drives to work. I recently tried this with my buds drive and it did not work, I think his drive motor went out though.
    There is a way to get your data off, it just depends on how much you're willing to pay, companies can and do charge major $$$ for this service.

its not important files, like company stuff, its just all personal files, maybe about 20gigs or of old cd rips before i had them stolen, old high school stuff i'd like to recover, and my pics from my old digi which i lost the back up disk for.....thanks for the help though....time to try to find a board now :)

Well if you are asking if the swapping controller boards on your hard drive trick works then the answer is YES!. there are a few caveats though.

1. you need to make sure the drive you are taking the working controller board from is the exact same model [none of this taking a revision 3 board and hooking it to a revision 1 drive, this makes a huge difference]. Also note sometimes the controller boards are revised on the same model drive over a course of a few weeks, so a drive that has been in production for a ayear may go through 12 or more different controller boards.
    2. make sure you got the right tools, some drives use torx screws to attach the controller board some use hex screws, some even use their own proprietary security screws.
    3. be very wary about connecting the little ribbon to the drive a bad connection here and even though you did everything right you may kill the drive permanently.
    4. once you recover the data scrap both drives [the dead one and the drive you pulled the controller board from] why? well lets just say that in my experience they have worked for a few months and then died unexpectedly, so if you do continue to use them don't put anything important on them.

Just my 2 cents..

Thread Information