Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Data transfer on Slave Drive

Default Slow Data transfer on Slave Drive

Hello

I looked through the this part of the forum and couldn't find a problem like mine.

Last week, I installed a 100GB Maxtor ATA HDD as a slave drive. A few days later, I received a 250GB Maxtor External HDD (connected to USB 2.0). My problem is that whenever I transfer data to the Slave, it takes about 30 min or so to transfer about 3 gigs. It took 17 minutes to transfer a 1.4GIG file from the slave to a flash drive. But, it took only 3 minutes to transfer 5.89 GIGS from my master to my External.

I am running a Windows XP SP2. My computer is a Dell with a 2.0GHZ processor and about 500MB of ram (I'm not sure how much, but it's around there). The file system for the Slave is NTSF, like the master. I installed the slave using the CD Maxtor gave me, the program being called MaxBlast 4.

Here are the removable devices attatched to my Comp:
    Master: IC35L090AW207-0
    Slave: Maxtor 6L100PO
    External: Maxtor 4 A250J0 USB Drive
    Main CD: Samsung CD-ROM Sc-148C
    2nd CD: CD-R/RW SW-248F

It was suggested the it may be due to the buffer. If so, how do I fix it? If not, how do I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Slow Data transfer on Slave Drive

Just a couple of ideas. Did you set the jumpers on your hard drives properly (master/slave or cs)? Have you checked your IDE channel properties to be sure they are set to DMA and not PIO?

To check IDE properties right click on "my computer" ---> go to "properties" --->expand "ide controllers" --->right click on "primary" --->go to "advanced" tab and select "dma if available" then do the same with "secondary" ---> reboot.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Maybe its just the fact that he is using Maxtor. Wink.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    Maybe its just the fact that he is using Maxtor. Wink.
    Maybe that was a stupid post with no benefit.

Anywho, are you sure the flash drive was 2.0?

Sorry, I just was caught up in the heat of that Maxtor bashing debate.
    Would a flash drive thats not 2.0 be that slow?
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

USB 1.1 = 12Mb/s
    USB 2.0 = 480Mb/s

Yes, it will be that slow.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

All the jumper settings are correct. This is the the 3rd time I put in an extra drive so I'm pretty sure I did the installation correctly. I couldn't find the "expand ide controllers" but I did -- right click My Comp -- hardware -- Device Manager -- IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers then right clicked on both primary and secondary. On both the primary and secondary, the transfer mode is set to DMA if available to both Device 0 and Device 1, but on the primary, the current transfer mode for Device 1 is PIO Mode, while on the secondary, the current transfer mode for Device 1 is Ultra DMA MOde 2. Is this the problem? If so, how do I fix it?

The drive in question is not the external but the internal slave, so the USB is not an issue (The transfer from primary to external is very good, so it's a USB 2.0).

Big thanks to everybody that has already replied, and those that are going to reply in the future.

For some reason the Dell BIOS does not enable DMA on the second IDE device on a given IDE channel by default.

Enter the BIOS setup by hitting F2 and then change the setting from "OFF" to "AUTO".

Hope this helps,

-- Noah

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    Just a couple of ideas. Did you set the jumpers on your hard drives properly (master/slave or cs)? Have you checked your IDE channel properties to be sure they are set to DMA and not PIO?

To check IDE properties right click on "my computer" ---> go to "properties" --->expand "ide controllers" --->right click on "primary" --->go to "advanced" tab and select "dma if available" then do the same with "secondary" ---> reboot.
    please could you tell me how to modify the active transfer mode ? Mine is set to PIO whilst my hard drive can run DMA mode 5. thanks

RTOO if following my instructions "select DMA if available and reboot" doesn't work then I'm not certain as to what the problem may be. As Noah stated it could be a bios setting. ....Perhaps a firmware update is available for your drive...
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information