Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are IBM hard drives any good?

Yeah that's for sure. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak

Yes, put simply. :)

Or in my case 5400RPM is better..... put two of them in RAID-0 and watch the "slow" 5400RPM drives extort lunch money from the 7200RPM drives :laugh:

heh, what kinda comment is that?

as if two 7200's in raid 0 wouldn't rape two 5400's PFFFF !! :p :D

Hey guys, I've got two geo metro engines, and hooked 'em up together on a chasis, and they do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds, which is faster than a ferrari....

HAHAH FERRARI'S SUCK !!!

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    zeradul[/size]]
    heh, what kinda comment is that?

as if two 7200's in raid 0 wouldn't rape two 5400's PFFFF !! :p :D
    What Albinus meant was that 2x 5400rpm HDD's in RAID 0 will perform faster than 1 7200rpm HDD. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Heh, I know exactly what he meant.

Just like my car analogy.

But what is the point?

More expensive (2 drives over 1)
    Less flexibility (can't use the drives for any other purpose without loosing data on both)
    Need a raid card/mobo (more $$)

------

My point is, a newbie is asking if there is an advantage to one over the other, no need to confuse him.

I have 4 IBM 75GXP series drives at 40GBytes each. They are running on RAID machines, 24 * 7 for approximately one year. To-date they have shown no sign of data corruption or failure. They are periodically scanned for surface defects / bad blocks and I have predictive algorithms running which warn me of potential failure during normal use.

I think the reliability is due mostly to excellent cooling. Because I live in Arizona and the computers live in an ambient temperature around 85degrees, I went to town on keeping plenty of forced air cooling around the drives (4 fans). I did notice when I first bought these drives they ran too hot for comfort. Hence the cooling paranoia.

These are very quick drives but I absolutely endorse the concept that forced air cooling on both sides of the drives is a healthy idea. Fortunately some very cheap cases now build-in space for HDD cooling and I consider them a 'must'.

Yeah, i've also heard that the IBM deskstars (aka deathstars), will not die/corrupt etc. if they are provided with good cooling, it's as simple as that, but for some people, the risks, even when reduced, still aren't worth it for the extra performance...
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

My college has returned approximately a third of all the Deskstar drives they have purchased over the past year - very high failure rate IMHO :eek:

Even though students in hardware classes aren't known for their gentle treatment of equipment, the Western Digital drives are managing below 5% failure rate... very good in the environment they're in :thumb:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

are you comparing apples to apples albi?

i know that IBM drives are very good performers, cooling is a must, and since i recently got a hold of a new Maxtor drive, i have to say that i feel its the same story again, these drives run hotwhen i turn my coolers off...so i wont be carting them round much :) (FYI thats what killed my last IBM drive :( )
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information