Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are IBM hard drives any good?

I'm either going with a 30GB Maxtor for $70 US or a 40GB IBM for $71 US. Both are running at 7200 rpm. I heard that lately IBM drives haven't been that great. Is there any truth to this? Oh, I also have a Maxtor drive now if that matters at all.

I couldn't recommend you getting IBM,

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=180
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic
    I'm either going with a 30GB Maxtor for US or a 40GB IBM for US. Both are running at 7200 rpm. I heard that lately IBM drives haven't been that great. Is there any truth to this? Oh, I also have a Maxtor drive now if that matters at all.
    Oh yeah, IBM drives are great, If you need a doorstop, boat anchor, or paperwieght:hammer:
    Go with the Maxtor, a much better drive:thumb:

That's what I was leaning to anyways. Plus then I'll have matching Maxtor drives.

in my experience there is no difference in the brand of the Drive as to the reliability, only performance that changes... having not known alot about maxtor, I can say IBM are a preformer, andif you follow the tweakers guidelines in regard to HDD's you'll be fine with a IBM (lets face it, nothing lasts forever)

If you want reliability, I'd recommend a Quantum/Maxtor 20Gb Drive, as the 20Gb's tend to be single platter, fast, quiet lower power drives, and rarely die.

there you have it :)
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Beefy Guest

I've never had an IBM drive myself, but the two Maxtor drives i've got (30GB and 60GB) work like a charm. No complaints from me.

I actually was eying a 20GB Maxtor drive, but the one I'm looking at off Newegg spins at 5400rpm. Is there really that big of a difference between 7200 and 5400? I'm not that picky either.

Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic
    I actually was eying a 20GB Maxtor drive, but the one I'm looking at off Newegg spins at 5400rpm. Is there really that big of a difference between 7200 and 5400? I'm not that picky either.
    Yes, put simply. :)
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I don't think you want to buy a 20 GB drive with today's market. I bet you can get an 80GB (qualdruple the size) for less than double the price....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak

Yes, put simply. :)
    If MagCynic has ever defragged a 5400 RPM drive he will love the difference when he does it to a 7200:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information