Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: help me!!!! my laptop can;t format

Question help me!!!! my laptop can;t format

i can't format my laptop ... my windows can't start so i wan to format it tell no strorage device found ... friend told its cause i'm using sata how to do it then

Default Re: help me!!!! my laptop can;t format

Since you are doing a complete reinstall anyway (kinda required when you format the drive), just do a fresh install of Windows (assuming XP since you are using SATA). When you start the install you will have a blurb at the bottom of the screen telling you to hit F6 to install SCSI drivers. Have the floppy disk with your SATA drivers for the motherboard and install them accordingly. From there you can tell Windows to do a full format of the hard drive before installing the OS.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion View Post
    Since you are doing a complete reinstall anyway (kinda required when you format the drive), just do a fresh install of Windows (assuming XP since you are using SATA). When you start the install you will have a blurb at the bottom of the screen telling you to hit F6 to install SCSI drivers. Have the floppy disk with your SATA drivers for the motherboard and install them accordingly. From there you can tell Windows to do a full format of the hard drive before installing the OS.

Aren't u telling him the process to install XP on a desktop PC ? Since he is having problems with his Lappy's HDD how can he use the Floppy Disk ? I don't think his laptop does have an FDD.He'll have to use an USB FDD then.

most laptops have an auto recovery cd or partition, I'd try that first - note it will blow away all your settings but your doing that anyway

Quote Originally Posted by AMDATHLONFX View Post
    Aren't u telling him the process to install XP on a desktop PC ? Since he is having problems with his Lappy's HDD how can he use the Floppy Disk ? I don't think his laptop does have an FDD.He'll have to use an USB FDD then.
    1- Many laptop computers still have FDD drives. I have several at work that fall into this category.

2- Even if the machine does not have this drive, as you pointed out an external device can still be used. Laptop manufacturers did not go away from floppy drives until the mainboards began natively supporting booting from a USB device. That still allows the installation technique to be perfectly valid.

3- to shar88: Another alternative is to find a buddy who has an external SATA drive enclosure and it can be formatted that way as well. Kheldar is also correct about the recovery partition, but I generally don't use that feature (it adds all the bloatware that originally came on the machine), so I normally don't remember to mention it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

3- to shar88: Another alternative is to find a buddy who has an external SATA drive enclosure and it can be formatted that way as well. Kheldar is also correct about the recovery partition, but I generally don't use that feature (it adds all the bloatware that originally came on the machine), so I normally don't remember to mention it.
    I don't tend to either but it is a quick way of getting backup and operational, particularly when your having problems finding drivers

1- Many laptop computers still have FDD drives. I have several at work that fall into this category.

Ya, u r right.

One question to, shar88 :- Could u please tell us that ur Bios is detecting ur HDD or not coz guys it can also be a hardware related problem.Isn't it so ?

it certainly can be.

Thread Information