Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HD capacity error?

Default HD capacity error?

This seems a bit odd to me I have a 40gb hard drive that only had 1.71gb free space. I know 40gb is ancient but hey. So I wish to free up more space on it, go to Add and remove programs and delete my least used games, now I have 8.51gb free space which is actually odd because if I add up all the programmes on my HD they only add up to 14.5gb!
    So does any one know how to retrieve the missing 17gb?
    I have no movies or music on this system so something is there that I cannot see.

My system is
    Amd athlon 64 3.4ghz
    gigabyt enforce4ultra
    x1600 pro hdmi 256mb pci express
    Soundblaster sommit sound
    40gb hard drive

Confused and slightly annoyed because I'm suspecting that winxp home has eaten my HD

Strat...

Default Re: HD capacity error?

Try SequoiaView: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ . You may get some ideas there. You will never actually see a full 40GB due to the way hard drive manufacturers do their math but you should have at least 37GB or so.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thanks, I'm aware of this and my computer reads the HD as 38.1gb, I thought the difference was what Windows was using though.
    I'll check out the link now thanks.

Strat...

Very pretty. Still cannot see where my missing HD space is though.
    Any other sugestions?

Thanks

Strat...

Have you defragged and run disk cleanup and all t hat jazz? There is also probably alot of garbabe that is just not reporting itself on program lists that is on there. How long ago did you do the install? How much hardware have you changed since then?
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

hmm best solution, delete the partition, create a new one & format it.

its could be caused by "lost files", scandisk will create lost file folders but hide them (hidden system files), it could also be windows swap partition if this drive has been system disk, both are hidden system files

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    Have you defragged and run disk cleanup and all t hat jazz? There is also probably alot of garbabe that is just not reporting itself on program lists that is on there. How long ago did you do the install? How much hardware have you changed since then?
    Defragged yes, almost everytime I install a new Major programme or uninstall a major programme(Game). and I fairly often run disk cleanup, once a month on average. Maybe 12 months since last and no added hardware during this period.
    A friend of mine says the same thing happens to him but he does not really notice because of his HD size but it is definately windows that uses the HD space because after a f/disk reinstall all available disk space is back.

I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with automatic updates which I leave on, is this a posibility maybe?

Strat...

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    hmm best solution, delete the partition, create a new one & format it.

its could be caused by "lost files", scandisk will create lost file folders but hide them (hidden system files), it could also be windows swap partition if this drive has been system disk, both are hidden system files
    Not sure I completely understand this but I thought the swap file was only temporary, and this is the only system drive I have. So are you saying that Windows is hiding files?

Strat...

Thread Information