Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Second Hard Drive Install Dilema

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Second Hard Drive Install Dilema

Hi Folks-

I have a feeling that this will be a fairly easy one for you guys, and I must be missing a fairly easy fix.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, which I inherited from my son, oh lucky me. When they were little, they used to inherit our old computers. At 17, he gets the new one and I inherit his. The computer is working fine, with the exception of a noise from the hard drive.

It sounds similar to the saw at a lumber yard, but thank god not as loud. I purchased a Western Digital 250 GB EIDE Hard Drive to replace the old one. This computer has everything to accomodate a second hard drive. Although the current 80 GB drive is not going to be kept, at least this option would allow me to transfer the contents of the old to the new, or so I thought.

The hardware installation went better than expected, but then I came to a sudden halt. Apparently the drive has been recognized, and for it's full capacity, approx 232 GB. It is listed as Drive "F", as the pc has 2 optical drives installed.

In the Disk Management section, this drive is listed as "New Volume F", as Healthy and Active Disk 0" My 80GB is listed as Healthy Disk 1 (EISA Configuration), for the 39 MB FAT, and a Healthy system Drive "C".

I guess I was expecting the software that came with the drive, to tell me how to transfer my contents to the new drive.

I have tried everything I could think of, but the software just continues to give me physical install instructions. I tried installing XP to the new "F" drive, but no dice. I tried using it as a boot disk, and no dice either.

I tried changing the configuration of the ribbon cables, the jumpers, and the drive configurations in the setup program. All I did there was make things unrecognizable, and couldn't even start windows.

So, I put everything back the way I originally had it, and windows started through the noisy drive and the "F" drive is still recognized as described above.

I guess my questions are:

1. How do I get the operating system, and everything on Drive "C" (old 80 GB), over to Drive "F", (New 250GB) ?

2. Then, how can I get the computer to recognize only the new hard drive, starting windows on the new drive, and eliminating the need for the buzz saw altogether?

It really wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't transfer all the programs and settings over. My son has a 250gb external drive, where I can copy out all my files, and I have most of the install disks for all my programs. As long as I can get the foundation set on the new drive, I could reinstall all my programs if need be.

If you need more information to help me, please, please ask, and I will supply you with whatever you need.

Thanks so much for helping me out with this moise maker.

Sunyb36
    (Joan)

Default Re: Second Hard Drive Install Dilema

Download "Western Digital Data Lifeguard" right from Western Digital. It will do what you need. Be aware though, there is almost definitely a hidden partition on the old hard drive that contains all your windows reinstall information that can't be transferred so you'll be out of luck if you don't have the Windows CD and need to reinstall later on. Otherwise, you should be able to copy the complete active boot partition to the new drive and remove the old one.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

or ghost is another program

basically you need to image your old disk to your new disk - usually done thru a boot cd or floppy

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info, but I think I am more confused now than before.

Since I left this thread, someone from another board told me to use x copy. He gave me a command to type in xcopy c:\ and basically/everything.

It took all night to copy, and when I woke up, I had a blue screen. When I restarted the computer, it booted with the old hard drive. When I clicked on the new hard drive, it showed approx 58 GB of data, which by my calculations could not be a duplicate of everything on the C drive.

I reversed the jumpers, to make the new drive the primary, and I recived a message that there is a problem with the drive configuration. I switched jumpers around again, and got nothing but errors, until I placed the jumpers back to dual primary (old), and dual slave (new).

This allows windows to load, but doesn't solve my initial problem.

The new drive came with the Data Lifeguard Software, and there is nothing on there that helps. I even created the boot disk, which only takes me to a blue diagnostics screen. The tests run from this screen tell me that the new drive is recognized and healthy.

As far as the reinstall of windows, I do have the disk, but if you recall from my original thread, I tried installing to the new drive, with no luck at all. The drive is listed as formatted and healthy, but I couldn't install anything to it.

At this point I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Joan

xcopy will only copy some of the files not the protected system ones and not the boot partition

a disk imaging program such as "ghost" will copy all of your OLD HD to the new HD including boot sectors etc. The only difference between the 2 is that it will resize the partion to fit onto your new disk.

you have 2 options here.

Option 1. - do a clean install of windows onto the new HD and then copy all the data files you want thru windows. It's best if you disconnect your old HD while doing this, then you can't acidentally delete it, and it ensures that windows doesn't do something you don't want it to. This will involve resintalling all your software.
    Once windows is reinstalled you can connect up the old HD

Option 2. - Image disk1 to disk2 - then you will have identical data on both drives and can now run windows on your new drive without doing any reinstalling.
    Ghost is program I use, there are others.

Poseidonas is offline Junior Member

There is a much better and cheaper program than Norton Ghost ($70).

Acronis True Image 11.0 Home - $49, and $39 for v10.0 @ Staples.com/Staples Retail Stores.

You basically use the "Clone" option. This is what you'll need to do...

-First, fix any errors that is on your harddrive itself. This is why you probably got a blue screen (BSOD) when you attempted to use XCopy. This is how you do that:
    ---Right click your C: drive in My Computer
    ---Go to Tools
    ---Click on the Check Now.. listed under Error Checking
    ---Click on BOTH checkboxes and click OK for both prompts, to restart.
    ---Do not interrupt the blue screen that appears. This WILL take a few HOURS to complete moving data from any bad sectors to valid safe ones.

Now after that is done, from WITHIN Windows
    --Go to Control Panel
    --Go to Administrative Tools
    --Go to Computer Management
    --Go to Disk Management by SINGLE clicking it
    --Find your new drive, and right click it. Then choose Format. Choose the following settings
    -----------Volume: WinXP_x86 (for example)
    -----------File System: NTFS
    -----------Cluster Size: 4096 (4Kb) - balance between speed and maximum space
    --Click OK and let it go. A % indicator will appear within the block of the new drive.

When that is completed, download the purchased edition of Acronis and install. Restart when prompted (use default settings).

In Windows, run Acronis and choose "Clone Drive." Follow the steps to image your C: drive to the new WD drive (whatever the letter is).

When you are done, shut down, swap jumpers/cables, and turn it on. It will load normally.
    Last edited by Poseidonas; 09-25-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Using angle brackets dont work!!

Thread Information