Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: To NAS Or Not? Opinions Please.

2therock is offline Member

Default To NAS Or Not? Opinions Please.

I have Gigabit capabilities and have been looking at NAS devices but keep hearing about slow read and write speeds in these devices.

I am looking at another alternative in using my old P4 3.0 MHz system in a LAN configuration with a gigabyte PCI card. I hear this kind of thing is really fast.
    The motherboard is a Asus P4P 800 Deluxe and will do SATA and RAID. It's all cleaned up with a fresh XP HP SP1 install.
    I'll be going from my new system's 1000 NIC through a Trendnet TEW-633GR NDraft router 1000 LAN port.

I'm looking at the possibility of two 750GB in RAID one to backup my digital photography files.

Thanks

Default Re: To NAS Or Not? Opinions Please.

NAS was designed for convenience and accuracy of data storage instead of speed, but as long as your NAS appliance and your network all support a gigabit data transfer, you should not have any real speed issues.

As for setting up a RAID on a spare box, it does not offer as much security at its default settings as a NAS does, but if this is a home network where security is not an issue, then you should be fine. And while a RAID can offer a little better overall performance, it will not be all that noticeable since SATA drives are nearly as fast anyway and you will be limited to the network speeds.

Either method should prove acceptable. They won't be as fast as just copying to a local machine, but neither should prove to be inconveniently slow either.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information