Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid & Windows XP

Windows XP Pro
    Asus A7V133
    Maxtor ATA100 40 Gig

I'm running a maxtor ATA100 and I have a raid capable MB(asus A7V133). When I move the jumpers over to raid, and boot up,I hit F6 (or what ever it is) to set it up. But when I reboot I just get the Blue screen of death.

This worked fine in 98se RAID 0, although I did not have it jumpered when I installed XP and did not hit F2 at the time (I know it was stupid of me)

Any thoughts?

how many HD's have u got - if its only one don't bother wasting time with raid

I just have the one, I thought it was supposed to be faster then normal IDE.

But thanks

Only if ya run two HDD's in a RAID 0 setup. ;)
    <center></center>

you can't do raid with one disk - so i'd just leave it off

also if u really want to use raid with winxp you'll have to format and start again - winNT/2K/XP will not detect the change in hardware setup (win9x does)

The same problem occurs when u try and ghost from one machine to another one - unless mboard is almost identical (same chipset) u will get BSOD - which is the reason we have about 13 images at work - just for different chipsets

although in actual fact...u should have separate images for each independant system configuration (diff vid cards/ nics...etc.. but who does that...)

and just a rebuttal re: RAIDing one drive, u can infact setup a Single Drive RIAD array, BUT, there is no advantage to doing so...unless of course you IDE Raid controller didn't actually support PnP IDE mode....that'd suck!
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

How about this stupid question....

I have 2- 40gb IBM hard drives with the MSI k266a-ru board that has the promise raid onboard. In my manual it states that I have raid 0 and 1 as my options. I know Raid 1 will use both drives as one (40gb+40gb+raid 1= 40gb of free space). Now will raid 0 give me the the total 80gb of free space?

Thanks guys

RAID 0 doubles your space - but at the cost of reliability, if one drive crashed or gets corupted somehow, all you data on the RAID array is lost

ok...I am kinda confused...Doubles your space? with my 2-40 giggers I will be able to utilize the true physical space?
    But with a higher performance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information