Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SATA optical drives

Default SATA optical drives

Hi

My old IDE Sony DVD-RW drive seems to have died. RIP.

I was going to buy this Samsung SATA drive as a replacement.
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

But i've heard some rumours that SATA optical drives don't work without drivers, that you can't use them for a fresh format and windows install etc....

Please advise. This is a relatively new model, not one of the earlier SATA drives. And my mobo bios is up to date.
    Last edited by Arjun; 07-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    Sandy Bridge Pentium G840
    Asus socket 1155
    Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR31866
    PNY geforce 9600gt PCI-E 512Mb
    HP w1907 widescreen LCD
    Creative sound blaster X-Fi Titanium
    Corsair Performance Pro 256GB SSD
    1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

Default Re: SATA optical drives

To the best of my knowledge, SATA drivers are only required when loading WinXP from boot, just like they are needed for SATA hard drives when loading WinXP (you know, the F6 drivers). Vista has native support for SATA devices so does not have the requirement for the install drivers.

From then on, the manufacturer may or may not recommend a driver installation to handle all the capabilities of the device. Most opticals do not require this, but if they are needed then the manufacturer's website should have them for download.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks.

So I guess if im doing a fresh format with this I will need to have the driver on a floppy disk...
    Asus socket 1155
    HP w1907 widescreen LCD
    1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

If you are still using WinXP, yes. Vista will natively support SATA drives from everything I've heard. AFAIK WinXP cannot use a USB thumb drive to load from.
    My Toys

Problems..... Im not reinstalling windows so no driver required.

I bought the drive, connected it. BIOS detects it but windows refuses to load while it is connected. It gets stuck on the windows loading screen. Won't even boot up in safe mode. If I connect the drive after windows has loaded then it freezes when I connect.

When I disconnect the drive it works as normal....
    Asus socket 1155
    HP w1907 widescreen LCD
    1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

SATA does not require any master/slve settings, so since you have a SATA hard drive you shouldn't be having many issues at all. Check in the BIOS and make sure that your boot sequence is set properly. From your comment, you should be able to enter CMOS before you come to where the system is locking on you. Sometimes if you connect a SATA drive to a lower numbers SATA port, Windows will automatically think you want THAT drive as your boot drive. ALso, double check your SATA cable on your optical drive by trying to boot with that one connected to your hard drive. I recently had issues with a system boot hang and the problem was the cable.
    My Toys

I find this interesting beacause I have both HDD and optical drive that are SATA and I have never loaded a driver for either with a clean install of XP Pro, is it only XP Home that requires an F6 sata driver install? because I certainly don't need one.

EDIT: This true for both SP1 & SP2 installs too btw and a clean install is deleting and recreating/formatting the partition.
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 07-29-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

May depend on the mainboard, dunno. I have had to install the F6 drivers when I do a fresh install with WinXP Pro w/ SP2 slipstreamed.
    My Toys

Tried changing the SATA cable, did not help. Also checked boot sequence but it was correct. I don't think this is an issue anyway because I do get to the Windows XP loading screen before it freezes. So it is booting from the correct HD or it would not find XP...

Thanks for the replies.
    Asus socket 1155
    HP w1907 widescreen LCD
    1TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD

Have you checked the SATA cable(s)? When I recently added another SATA drive to my system with a bad cable, it hung.
    My Toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information